Side-to-side play in swingarm?

Got questions? We got answers....
Still Bill

Post by Still Bill »

Hello.

I am re-doing the suspension  on a 2005 KDX-200. After replacing the swingarm bearings, I noticed that the swingarm can be moved from side to side (about 3/16"). It is not sloppy loose, but I can pry it back and forth easily with a screw driver. All parts in the bearing kit are same as what came off, and same as parts diagram. Is this normal? Not sure I like it. If pushed all the way to one side, the seal almost comes out of the swingarm hole. Seems like it would be pumping water into the bearing if it moved around when riding in mud. Any chance it is not a stock KDX swingarm, or a different year?

Anyhow, I went to Ace hardware and found some 1" i.d. thin bushing washers - two different thicknesses (14 ga and 18 ga). I put one thin and one think on each side, and now there is no side-to side slack. The washers are not tight against the frame or swingarm - they do not cause any resistance to up/down movement. The washers ride on the rubber-covered bearing endcaps, outside from the sealing surface. I have photos, but my camera isn't here now.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

There should be no side to side movement. Are you sure the kit you bought was correct for your bike?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Still Bill

Re: Side-to-side play in swingarm?

Post by Still Bill »

Yes, bearing kit is correct, but I'm thinking maybe the swing arm is not the original. Don't see part number. Maybe it is from KX (like the forks are?) I will post photos later tonight.

Just spoke to one of my suspension gurus (at Pro Action), and he says he has heard of this problem before. He said to get the right size washers and shim it. LOL! I already did that.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If it was not like that when you took it off, then SOMETHING is different.

If you can, post up some measurements, too.

Is this with the nut torqued to the proper value?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I noticed when I did mine that there was clearance between the frame and the other parts. This got taken up when I tightened up the swing arm's pivot shaft. When assembled, there was no side-to-side play.

It's been awhile since I did this work, so I may have forgotten some details.
Still Bill

Post by Still Bill »

The bolt, nut, frame, spacers, and bearings are all tightly squeezed together. Just the actual swingarm can slide back and forth on the four seals. The seals are part of the spacers. I'm sure many KDX swingarms may be like this, but nobody noticed. Look to see if there is a gap between swingarm body and frame. Is it the same on both sides? Can you pry the swingarm from side to side with a screwdriver? Don't force it, mine slides easily, but takes more than just my hand to move it. (before I added shims).
Still Bill

Post by Still Bill »

Well, I managed to get a hold of a buddy who has a 2003 KDX for his wife. I convinced him to check for side to side play in swingarm, and he says YES - it does. Visible gap at each end, not sloppy, but can move to side with light prying using screwdriver.

So, maybe they are all like this? Not a problem? Still, I like my fix.