Gas Gas vs KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
KawE30

Gas Gas vs KDX

Post by KawE30 »

Currently own a 2002 KDX200, very happy with it aside from suspension issues at first but replacing fork springs and setting sag now, should be miles better.

I also have an itch for a new bike, a 125 for some fun
Stumbled on a 2002 gas gas ec125 for a good price around me. It's an Enduro model, I heard good things about them.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the early gas gas bikes? Mainly about the suspension, in relation to the KDX. Would it be a big improvement ? This model comes with marzochi 45mm fork and an ohlins rear shock. Would this setup handle fast off-road riding, jumping etc better than the KDX does when both are set up with the right springs rates ?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Gas Gas vs KDX

Post by KDXGarage »

I think there is more potential with the Gas Gas, but my concern with old boutique bikes is PARTS, PARTS, PARTS. Well, let me look...

Here's a place, 2002 EC125...

$300 connecting rod kit
$920 crankshaft

They seem to be OK on most other parts, though. Just do some research on it. Used parts on eBay for a KDX gives many options. Gas Gas, Beta, TM, Sherco, etc. are few and far between.

It would be quite cool and fun. Good luck.

SS109 on here has recently purchased a Gas Gas. Look up his thread.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KawE30

Post by KawE30 »

I think having both the KDX and the gas gas would complement each other perfectly. Gas Gas as a weekend warrior and KDX as the dependable workhorse

Yeah man the beauty of the KDX is the parts availability, and reliability. I don't think I could kill the KDX if I tried.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Gas Gas vs KDX

Post by SS109 »

Personally, I love GasGas bikes but, of course, I love KDX's as well. They are bikes built for almost the same purpose and both do it well.

The Marzocchi and Ohlins on the GG are big upgrades over the stock KDX suspension. The parts for the forks and shock are a little tougher to find but are available. Getting parts isn't too bad other than plastics but those years, I think, share plastics with a more main stream bike. Also, I believe a lot of the engine internals are based off the Honda CR125 but I'm not 100% sure. Most of the chassis parts are shared with other bikes on the market. I mean, like, Nissin brakes aren't exactly a GG exclusive! :mrgreen:

That said, I think the KDX will be better bike in the slower technical stuff than the GG just because it can be lugged along where any 125 will need to be spun up due to it's lack of power down low. The GG would be better when riding aggressively and at speed. Even though GG bikes are super reliable I would probably not have it as my only bike. If something were to break it could take a week or two to get the replacement parts. I don't think you would be disappointed with it but I would keep the KDX as a back up bike and for riding the gnarly stuff.

Not trying to talk you out of the GG but you could just upgrade the suspension on your KDX and it would be just as good as the GG anywhere and would be easier to ride when your tired or just want to put-put around. Then again, there's nothing like having a 125 pinned wide open and flying!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Gas Gas vs KDX

Post by lucy »

SS109 wrote: Then again, there's nothing like having a 125 pinned wide open and flying!...
...and bouncin’' off of trees!
Last edited by lucy on 06:31 am Jun 03 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I was in Costco a few weeks ago and they had a Gas Gas on display. :rolleyes: To say I was surprised to see a Gas Gas in Costco would be an understatement. Nice bike! :supz:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WHAT?? That's odd. I remember seeing a Kawasaki ATV in there years ago.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jason wrote:WHAT?? That's odd. I remember seeing a Kawasaki ATV in there years ago.
It's pretty common for Costco (at least around here) to have powersports vehicles on display. It's usually is along the lines of a Kawi ATV or UTV. Guess someone had the idea to try and sell a GasGas for a change. :busted:
Last edited by Jim B on 01:14 am Jun 04 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm a big fan of the EC200/300. Even thinking about riding a 125 makes me feel old and tired, lol.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Julien D wrote:Even thinking about riding a 125 makes me feel old and tired, lol.
No doubt! I ride my buddy's YZ125 every once in a while and, while a total blast, it wears me out. I like a bike I can be lazy on. :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It's still there:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Jim B wrote:It's still there:
Hmm, maybe I should be shopping Costco! :grin: Did you catch the price?
'11 GasGas EC250R
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

$8,349. (Plus tax, I'm pretty sure.) I think the MSRP is something like $10,149.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Gas Gas vs KDX

Post by SS109 »

Not bad. Wish I had the coin. :?
'11 GasGas EC250R
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Nice-looking bike, for sure.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Gas Gas vs KDX

Post by ohgood »

KawE30 wrote:Currently own a 2002 KDX200, very happy with it aside from suspension issues at first but replacing fork springs and setting sag now, should be miles better.

I also have an itch for a new bike, a 125 for some fun
Stumbled on a 2002 gas gas ec125 for a good price around me. It's an Enduro model, I heard good things about them.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the early gas gas bikes? Mainly about the suspension, in relation to the KDX. Would it be a big improvement ? This model comes with marzochi 45mm fork and an ohlins rear shock. Would this setup handle fast off-road riding, jumping etc better than the KDX does when both are set up with the right springs rates ?

gasgas 250 > any kdx
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I had a 99 ec200 and 97 KDX 200 and now have a 97 KDX 220. The ec200 was my first 2-stroke so I wouldn't say I have the most up-to-date experience on it. Overall I like the KDX motor better as I am not looking for anything too aggressive. The suspension was better on the ec200, but parts were starting to be difficult to find and the re-sale value isn't great on those bikes, which is nice for the buyer, but bad for the seller. I'd look into another Gas Gas someday, but probably as a secondary bike only and even that, I'd probably just ride my KDX anyhow.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200