Make 2003 KDX200 Quieter

Got questions? We got answers....
gshredz

Make 2003 KDX200 Quieter

Post by gshredz »

Hello,
I have a 2003 KDX 200 that I just got. I need this bike to be as quiet as possible. I am taking off the fmf exhaust setup and will be putting on a stock expansion chamber and silencer. Can you pack these to make them quieter? Any modifications you can do to quiet them? Will high temp header wrap really make much of a difference? Thank you! :grin:
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Make 2003 KDX200 Quieter

Post by John_S »

Mine didn't have a stock exhaust when I bought it but did have the air box lid and snorkel. I think the stock exhaust, air box lid and snorkel is as quiet as it's going to get but I have no experience with header wrap. The snorkel makes a huge difference in quieting it down. Don't try to stuff packing in the pipe. I can't see that ending well.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Is the air box lid on? That will help a bit.

The stock pipe and spark arrestor will help. There used to be a company called DB Snorkel. One of those would help. I have seen people do the exhaust pipe wrap. I am not sure how much that helps, as I have never tried it myself.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Why do you want to quiet it?
'00 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The 1995+ stock spark arrestor is not rebuildable (no replaceable packing inside like a MX bike usually has)
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

John_S wrote:Mine didn't have a stock exhaust when I bought it but did have the air box lid and snorkel. I think the stock exhaust, air box lid and snorkel is as quiet as it's going to get but I have no experience with header wrap. The snorkel makes a huge difference in quieting it down. Don't try to stuff packing in the pipe. I can't see that ending well.
Thank you, I will be making sure I have the airbox lid and snorkel. I guess its worth a shot at wrapping the pipe. :grin:
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

Jason wrote:Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Is the air box lid on? That will help a bit.

The stock pipe and spark arrestor will help. There used to be a company called DB Snorkel. One of those would help. I have seen people do the exhaust pipe wrap. I am not sure how much that helps, as I have never tried it myself.
I will have to check and make sure the air box lid is on. Ebay might be the place to get a DB snorkel if there not made anymore :wink: And I guess it couldn't hurt to try an exhaust wrap :hmm: Thank you for the reply, I apperciate it! :grin:
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

Slick_Nick wrote:Why do you want to quiet it?
All the riding ever but with one complaint it can be all shut down. Neighbors man :sad:
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

Jason wrote:The 1995+ stock spark arrestor is not rebuildable (no replaceable packing inside like a MX bike usually has)
Some people have said you can and that got me confused. But now I know for sure. Thanks! :razz:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

As far as USA KDX's go, and (AS BEST I KNOW), 1989 - 1994 KDX200 and 1991 - 1994 KDX250 are the only models that have a rebuildable silencer portion of the spark arrestor.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

You could check with these folks to see if an insert is available sized for the KDX.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/12 ... uddy-plug/

On my CRF 230 I made an insert that is tune-able/tone-able using a conduit and spacers. It does reduce power but can be adjusted on the trail.
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

firsthere wrote:You could check with these folks to see if an insert is available sized for the KDX.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/12 ... uddy-plug/

On my CRF 230 I made an insert that is tune-able/tone-able using a conduit and spacers. It does reduce power but can be adjusted on the trail.
Thanks man, I will check it out! :boogie:
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I don't have any suggestions to add to quiet down a stock kdx but I would like to commend you for the effort. If more of us years ago had taken noise more seriously, maybe there would be more places to ride still open today. Riding responsibly and considerately will go a long ways towards preserving this sport.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I know how to cut the noise in half without any power loss but it involves modifying the pipe (cutting and welding)
so that excludes most peoples interest in it
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

doakley wrote:I don't have any suggestions to add to quiet down a stock kdx but I would like to commend you for the effort. If more of us years ago had taken noise more seriously, maybe there would be more places to ride still open today. Riding responsibly and considerately will go a long ways towards preserving this sport.
Yes it will! Im 15 yrs old right now. Dirt bike riders in my age group are far and few between. It doesn't help when the ones who do ride will purposely make there bike louder when they know there riding in places they technically should not be. All the riding spots there was when my dad was my age are now all gone, stores, buildings, and businesses replace what was there. Scary to think how its going to be when I get older! Well anyways thanks for the help man! I apperciate it! :grin:
gshredz

Post by gshredz »

Jaguar wrote:I know how to cut the noise in half without any power loss but it involves modifying the pipe (cutting and welding)
I thought there was something you can do like that. My dads buddy had a 95+ kdx 200. His bike was so quite, just as quiet as the smaller Honda trail bikes. To accomplish this I believe he modified the exhaust and used high temp header wrap, not sure as it was a while ago. I assume the process to modify the pipe is too long type on here but, Thanks dude! :boogie:
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Jaguar wrote:I know how to cut the noise in half without any power loss but it involves modifying the pipe (cutting and welding)
Can you tell us where we can see details of this modification?
jhogg7575

Post by jhogg7575 »

Would the exhaust off an kdx sr model fit it already has extra baffels to keep it quite.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk