Duel Sport tires

Got questions? We got answers....
DirtSquirt

Duel Sport tires

Post by DirtSquirt »

Hello all, I'm purchasing some duel sports for the kdx today as a 2nd set of tires and I'm not sure what will fit. Does anyone know an affordable set or size that will fit the stock wheels on my 01 kdx 200? Thanks
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Duel Sport tires

Post by pumpguy »

Many recommend the Kenda K 760 Trackmasters. I believe these are rated @ 90 / 10, dirt vs road, and of course are DOT rated.

I believe all dual sport tires have these dirt vs road ratings, at least all that I have looked at recently.

As a first step, I would suggest you decide what dirt vs road duty you want your dual sport tires to perform at, and then go from there.

I am in a similar situation with an extra set of wheels. Haven't yet decided on what I will end up with.
Last edited by pumpguy on 11:49 am May 24 2018, edited 1 time in total.
DirtSquirt

Re: Duel Sport tires

Post by DirtSquirt »

I'm looking for something with more road capabilities for my 2nd set. It seems really hard to find a set for my rim size.. is it possible to fit wider??
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Avon makes road tires in 3.00-21 and 4.00-18 sizes. Of course these are strictly road tires with no dirt capability, and seem quite pricy. What ever choice you make will be a compromise, so you pays your money and takes your chances.

I would check out what tires are fitted to high end adventure bikes, or what the adventure bike guys like, and then see if you can find them in the sizes you need.
DirtSquirt

Post by DirtSquirt »

How do I know what tire sizes will fit? Does it have to be exact?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Duel Sport tires

Post by pumpguy »

First you need to know your rim sizes. I believe the standard rim sizes for the KDX are front, 1.6 X 21, rear 2.15 x 18. You will need to do some research and measuring to be sure.

Once you know your rim sizes, then research what tires you like that are available to fit your rims.

You might want to look at Kenda K761 tires. These are rated for 20% dirt, 80% road, and have a pretty good price.

Most tire suppliers have a drop down menu where you plug in what bike you have, and their offerings then come up for your review and choosing.

Just Google DUAL SPORT MOTORCYCLE TIRES, and lots will come up.
AndrewB
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Duel Sport tires

Post by AndrewB »

I've been using the Michelin Anakee Wild with pretty good effect (standard rim sizes) if that's any help...
DirtSquirt

Duel Sport tires

Post by DirtSquirt »

Do any of you guys know if a 4.6/18 rear tire will fit without rubbing chain??
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

One company's 4.6 is not exactly the same as another company's 4.6. It is like blue jeans measurements between different companies.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
DirtSquirt

Duel Sport tires

Post by DirtSquirt »

pumpguy wrote:First you need to know your rim sizes. I believe the standard rim sizes for the KDX are front, 1.6 X 21, rear 2.15 x 18. You will need to do some research and measuring to be sure.

Once you know your rim sizes, then research what tires you like that are available to fit your rims.

You might want to look at Kenda K761 tires. These are rated for 20% dirt, 80% road, and have a pretty good price.

Most tire suppliers have a drop down menu where you plug in what bike you have, and their offerings then come up for your review and choosing.

Just Google DUAL SPORT MOTORCYCLE TIRES, and lots will come up.
Are the kdx stock rims tube or tubeless?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Duel Sport tires

Post by SS109 »

KDX's use tube type rims. For the record, I normally use a 120mm (4.75") width tire (Sedona and Goldentyre) without any interference and it is considered extremely wide for the KDX.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Duel Sport tires

Post by pumpguy »

DirtSquirt,

Now that you have a KDX and want to start modding it, the most important thing you should get is an Owners Manual and a Service Manual. These 2 manuals will answer almost all questions you have about this bike, except in your case the choice of replacement tires.

Owners Manuals are available @ no charge from Kawasaki or your local dealer via email.

Service manuals are available @ nominal cost in print form or online. See this site's Home Page for more information.
freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

I am a day late, so you might not read this before your purchase.

My research found Shinko 244 tires are the best 50/50 tires. (50% on road & 50% off road)
They work well on the street and still fair off road.
The sizes run small so a 3.00 x 21 front and 4.60 x 18 may be the desired size.
The other size choice would be a narrower 2.75 x 21 front and 4.10 x 18 rear.
They are about $85 for the set at motosport.

Many riders also choose Kenda K270 50/50 tires.
These work slightly better off road but are more sketchy on tarmac.
They probably cost more also.
DirtSquirt

Post by DirtSquirt »

freeindeed wrote:I am a day late, so you might not read this before your purchase.

My research found Shinko 244 tires are the best 50/50 tires. (50% on road & 50% off road)
They work well on the street and still fair off road.
The sizes run small so a 3.00 x 21 front and 4.60 x 18 may be the desired size.
The other size choice would be a narrower 2.75 x 21 front and 4.10 x 18 rear.
They are about $85 for the set at motosport.

Many riders also choose Kenda K270 50/50 tires.
These work slightly better off road but are more sketchy on tarmac.
They probably cost more also.
It's funny you say that because those tires are the exact ones I bought a few days ago.. same sizes as well. I'll post pictures when the project is complete!!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Where are pics at? Haha I was thinking about the same ones for mine.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

I'm not a fan on the 50/50 tires. They are not good for aggressive street riding and suck equally in the dirt. I guess it depends what you want to do and how you plan to ride. I personally ride 80% street and 20% dirt on my street legal kdx. I tend to prefer aggressive off road tires as I'm always looking to dip off the road at any opening I see. I think the trackmaster 90/10 is a great inexpensive tire. I'm currently running Dunlap geomax mx tires with pretty good wear and very little road noise. I scored a deal I could not pass up and they have lasted a lot longer than I thought they would on the street. I think the most important thing is to realise what you have and to ride accordingly.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Just my .02, I've had good luck with a Motoz Mountain Hybrid rear and a Dunlop D606 front.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I just mounted up some Shinko 244's, haven't got to try them yet, but looking forward to it... read a lot of good reviews on them. The 4.6-18 looks to be about the width of a 100 tire. Was hoping to be a little closer to a 110/120, but o well, we'll see how it does.
Boxfresh25

Post by Boxfresh25 »

Tyl3r wrote:I just mounted up some Shinko 244's, haven't got to try them yet, but looking forward to it... read a lot of good reviews on them. The 4.6-18 looks to be about the width of a 100 tire. Was hoping to be a little closer to a 110/120, but o well, we'll see how it does.
Let us know what you think of them, especially the off road capability when wet . I personally have not ridden them myself but I do have a buddy who had and then removed them. He felt they were just ok for the street and the wear was good, but for off road he said he had to work to hard just to keep up with us and if they got wet forget about it.

He has since switched to the Dunlap 606 and swears by them.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Dual Sport tires

Post by Tyl3r »

I got them mounted up, but only had time to do a lap around the neighborhood. So far on the road, they are a million times better than the Trackmasters that were on it. I will update once I get to try it in the woods. I think these are going to be just what I need, should be a good compromise. I seem to be spending more time on the road with this thing than in the dirt. And when I do ride it in the dirt, it probably won't be in super muddy conditions either.

These are the 3.00 x 21 and 4.60 x 18 sizes on the stock KDX wheels

The Dunlop 606's look like a nice tire, but look to be more of an offroad tire. I didn't really want to have side lugs like that on mine. I am sure those ones would do a lot better in the woods though, no doubt there.

I originally was looking at the Continental tires that they put on the KTM adventure bikes. After talking with a buddy who has a 300exc dual sport and hates them, I decided against them.