Snorkel mod?

Got questions? We got answers....
AndrewB
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Snorkel mod?

Post by AndrewB »

Has anyone tried modifying the snorkel, rather than removing it altogether? I do a lot of wet riding and would like too keep the protection factor. Was thinking of cutting it so only the bit above the lid (and enough to hold it in place) remains - also cutting out the centre reinforcement divider. The theory is that is should open it up a bit without letting the water in...
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Snorkel mod?

Post by spl383 »

I drilled some holes in mine, I didn't want to completely remove it either.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Snorkel mod?

Post by SS109 »

Look at a lot of the other bikes out there, specifically MX bikes, being ridden/raced in super muddy/wet conditions. Their air boxes aren't even close to providing the protection from water that the KDX box does with it's lid off and those guys don't normally have problems unless going through deep water. IMO, removing the lid is the way to go. Just my .02 and YMMV!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Never had the lid on my 220 in the Pacific Northwest and never had a problem (except that one time I was playing submarine, but that was totally my bad) My hybrid runs the KX airbox and I just keep the scupper valve clean and have never had an issue. That would be different if you were plowing around in water up to the seat all day, but then why would you be on a bike?

Regardless, if you make any changes you may need to revisit your jetting to get the most out of it.
AndrewB
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Snorkel mod?

Post by AndrewB »

Thanks for the tips. This is going to be a bit of trial and error, methinks. Tried the snorkel off and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference - in particular it didn't rev out any higher, which is where I'd expect the biggest difference. Jetting is a bit rich (40/152), so would have thought more airflow should be noticeable.
But then I'm still running the stock chamber, with an aged fmf baffle, so that's probably the biggest restriction just now. Got a full new fmf desert on the way, so will have another play when it gets here...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would think that cutting the snorkel and leaving it in would have very little effect.

Look into installing a "T" on the vents if you are going to play in deep water.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Snorkel mod?

Post by firsthere »

The only time I notice water on the AF is after washing the bike. Just be careful with the garden hose once the tops cut out.
knottyrope

Post by knottyrope »

remove lid and add in a piece of foam to seal front most part to prevent water and dirt when riding

My brother drilled in holes in his and tapes them up when mudding
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Snorkel mod?

Post by jstcraig »

knottyrope wrote:remove lid and add in a piece of foam to seal front most part to prevent water and dirt when riding

My brother drilled in holes in his and tapes them up when mudding
The Sr I'm attempting to rebuild had the top removed, I have no idea how it performed but the clean up from being ridden in dry and dusty conditions was a mission, red dust and filter oil baked on, I knocked up a quick extra filter with security mesh and a/c filter medium which cover the entire opening and shouldn't slow air flow.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage
AndrewB
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Snorkel mod?

Post by AndrewB »

Nice job! Mines the SR too - 1994m 27,000 km - just rebuilt with 33mm carb (+ new air box etc). Well happy with results - she goes a dream :grin:
Have just been down to hardware and got some rectangle section guttering - going to try constructing a bigger snorkel - if it works it will be about 5x the size of the standard issue and more or less the same shape...