clutch advise please

Got questions? We got answers....
twostrokeheros

clutch advise please

Post by twostrokeheros »

Hi, my 2000 KDX 200 clutch seems to be heating up in the rough stuff, even after I just changed out the oil (use some good amsoil). Also dies out easily in 2nd or 3rd on downhills (which makes me fall a lot).

I am assuming I need to change out the clutch. Don't have any idea if it was ever done on the bike.
I am kinda familiar with changing out the clutch springs, plates, and basket, did it on a honda before.

Do you have an recommendations as far as brand? Or anything else I am not thinking of. Someone told me to soak the plates.

I really like my bike (we have luv). I got to try a newer ktm 300. It was cool. But I really liked my 200.
twostrokeheros

Re: clutch advise please

Post by twostrokeheros »

When rocking the bike out of a spot, the clutch begins howling. It used to do that after a good thrashing, now it begins earlier.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think the plate thickness specs are in the manual when you open it up to take a look.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

clutch advise please

Post by SS109 »

First thing to check is your clutch lever free play. Is there free play? Check the clutch springs free length. Check both frictions and steels for thickness. Look for scoring/overheating on the steels. If any don't check out I would replace the entire clutch pack including the springs. The reason I say replace all off it is because if one part is that worn the other parts are probably just as old and worn so do it all IMO.

As for replacing it, I highly recommend OEM parts but aftermarket clutch packs are ok. However, I wouldn't run any aftermarket clutch springs, OEM only. For installing soak your friction plates overnight in whatever oil you plan to use in your transmission. They should be completely submerged in the oil. Install like normal and torque down everything to spec.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
twostrokeheros

Post by twostrokeheros »

Jason wrote:I think the plate thickness specs are in the manual when you open it up to take a look.
In the manual under "maintenance and adjustment" I see travel distance under the operation clutch and friction it says "every two years" but not a measurement amount.

I am pretty sure I am just going to order new everything. I don't want to waste my time.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Must be owners manual, not service manual. Service manual spec for friction plate thickness for H series 200 is 2.92-3.08mm, service limit is 2.73mm.