Engine Rebuilding Service?

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Hello! Im looking to find a specialized shop who can rebuild 2 stroke engines. As I'm sure many of you know 83-85 KDX200 pistons are impossible to find. I have one KDX200 engine that has very low compression (but has a new bottom end), and then one engine thats missing a piston and needs a complete overhaul. Dependent on the price Id possibly have both rebuilt, but at the very least I would like the top end done on one. Id like to have the cylinder replated, bored, or whatever needs to be done to have a nice perfect engine. I am having a very difficult time finding any MX shops in CT, let alone shops capable of a rebuild like this. If anyone has any recommendations Id very much appreciate it. Id be willing to possibly ship (especially to a reputable member on this forum) if they do this type of work. I know it will probably be a costly repair but at this point I'd just like it to get done (and relatively quick!!).

I'm not looking to do this stuff myself. I know theres talk of a Wossner piston fitting. But I'd like to have this professionally done, and not have to worry about my own incompetence.

I also have a few other 83-85 kdx200 engines missing pistons but I probably cant afford to do those.

Im also curious as to what this type of work would cost. $600? $800? $1200?. I know its a lot but I just need something fitted that will work perfectly and properly. thanks
david

Re: Engine Rebuilding Service?

Post by david »

You could ship it to this guy. He knows a little bit about the KDX.
https://www.frpoffroad.com/index.htm
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You need to read up on the Wossner piston. Buy a piston and then ship it and the cylinder to Millenium Technologies or Power Seal. No liquid cooling and no power valves. AHHHH, Easy work.

You are going to have to wait a long time for an OEM piston to show up on eBay. They don't last long.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Jason wrote:You need to read up on the Wossner piston. Buy a piston and then ship it and the cylinder to Millenium Technologies or Power Seal. No liquid cooling and no power valves. AHHHH, Easy work.

You are going to have to wait a long time for an OEM piston to show up on eBay. They don't last long.
+1 This is the least costly way to go and will last a long time. With no power valves or water jacket they can bore and plate that thing to match your piston and you're golden. Probably only put you $300-400 for the top end work.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

IIRC Wiseco will make custom pistons but you have to have a minimum order of like 10 or something and it isn't cheap. Of course, if you were to have a batch made I'm sure you could sell the rest on Ebay fairly quickly to recoup your cash. Otherwise, I would contact Millennium and see what they can do. They might be able to make a custom piston just for your bike and I know they can take care of anything else.

I love building engines, and would be happy to do it, but anyone like myself would still have to farm out some of the work due to the plating of the cylinder and the piston. So, it is probably better if you just send it to someone who specializes in cylinder work like Millennium as it will end up cheaper and quicker.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post some pics of the cylinder from the one that has the good bottom end? If you already have a good bottom end, you really don't have much more work left.

If it were mine, I would go for Power Seal USA, as Millennium has recently jacked their prices up, especially if it needs a repair.

I doubt either place is going to have a Wossner KDX piston. If I was rebuilding an "A" model KDX200, that is what I would do. Buy a Wossner kit, then whatever extra pieces it needed, such as pin or small end bearing. Shop for your favorite gasket brand, plus read up on black cylinder paint. When the cylinder comes back from replating, it will be bare aluminum looking.

Unless your pictures show other wise, this seems like an easy job. Without doing all the EXACT nath, I am thinking $400 - $425, as..."

cylinder repair, around $200, plus shipping both ways
piston kit, $100??
gasket kit
spray paint of some sort

new spark plug?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

PowerSeal USA actually says they can sell a Wossner.

Here is the price page. Piston info is on another page.

http://www.powersealusa.com/prices/
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Try Ken O'Connor Racing. He's in CT. I had him rebuild my YZ crank and the runout was better then factory spec. From now on, all my rebuilding I can not do myself will go to him.