Want Your Opinions.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Want Your Opinions.

Post by jafo »

I'm considering selling my KDX. Yes I know I've done alot to it and really don't want to sell it but I'm wanting to get a KX or YZ 250 to race hare scrambles. I test rode a friends YZ yesterday and really liked the power. It was alittle over stock on the engine. I got a taste and want some more. But when I broke it to my wife about possibly buying the bike, I was met with an ultimatum. "You buy that bike and your getting a divorce". Pretty harsh hugh? There it is, in a nut shell. In order to race the bike I want, I'm gonna have to give up my KDX to do it. Thats what the other option was that was layed up side my head. But all that is another story.

What I need your guys opinion on is what would be a good fair price for this bike? I'm keeping the Scott's damper for my next bike. But with the front fork conversion and all, how does that affect the price? Here's what will go with the bike:

Front end conversion to KX forks.

Pro-taper fatty bars with Emigs top clamp.

FMF desert pipe with FMF spark arrester.

skid plate.

Miaer front and rear fenders. Scratched up from trees.

Have original front and rear fenders good shape.

Delta Force III reeds and reed cage.

Original pipe and silencer good shape. Like new.

Devol radiator guards.

Nice new Gripper seat cover

New KDX graphics.

Wiesco piston and bearings.

New front and rear sprockets and new X-ring chain. Have original sprockets and chain. Rear sprocket ir pretty well gone, front is good as well as stock chain.

Well thats about it. Overal the bike is in good to exellent shape and has'nt been abused to bad. No races on the bike. starts easy and runs great. I know an '03 KDX stock is worth maybe $2500 to $3000 depending on the shape it's in. But thats purely a stock bike. I was thinking of asking around $3000. Does this sound to out of bounds or to low a starting price?

I have'nt totaly talked myself into this yet but I need to make up my mind pretty fast. Say by this weekend. I found a 1999 KX 250 in good shape for $1500 and would like to get to it before it's gone.

Well, what do you all think?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's what I think:
Tell your wife who wears the parnts in your family and buy the KX or YZ while keeping the KDX. And if she doesn't like it, then tell her you are going to buy a tandem trailer to haul them around in too. Then, if she still doesn't like it, go buy a new truck to tow that trailer hauling your bikes around.

Worked for me.

If you like, I could talk to her for you and explain things.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

:shock: Thats the other part of the story... How'd you guess? :neutral: See, I'd like to or am planning on buying an in-closed trailer at the end of this year. I figure if I go ahead and buy the bike and keep the KDX, I can just about forget the in-closed trailer for awhile.

If I did'nt have kids, I'd have that bike in my garage...whoops, her garage right now. :? Child support is kind of expensive these days, so there it is. I usually just buy what I want without talking about it. Well this is what I get for talking about it first. Lesson learned. By the way, in response to the divorce ultimatum, i told here I guess I'll be sleeping in a ditch or carboard box then. Oh by the way, I'm a selfish bastard too. :supz: Thats why I moved her into a new house last year, spent $3500 on new bedroom furniture, another $2000 on living room and dining room furniture and to top it off, another $600 on a DVD camcorder that she has wanted for a few years. Yeh it was a return and dicounted camcorder but hey, it's a camcorder aint it? :grin: Boy I'm a selfish bastard i tell yah. :supz:

Anyway, what do you think it's worth? ( the KDX not my wife, I already know what she's worth :butthead: )
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

It's like looking in a mirror!!!

Ha!

Read some of my past posts and discover that I too spent about the same amount on our bedroom furniture, another $8500 on other furniture, etc....

My wife calls my enclosed tandem axle trailer, "The Dog House" since that is where I wind up when I'm in trouble with her. You knnow, the saying, "You are in the dog house now!!"

For the KDX pricing, I don't know what year it is, but you should be able to get about $2500 for any fairly late model bike with those options. Depends on your local market. A clean and shiny bike will sell faster but usually not for any more money. Dirt bikes are very very bad investments, cash wise anyway. Hey, I just had an idea; teach her to ride that KDX. Then she won't want you to get rid of it. BTW, it didn't work with my wife; let me know if your's buys that line.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
millzy555

Post by millzy555 »

I'd be interested in some of the mods, if you end up parting it out
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ski: Same amount plus8.5K$..????

So...how does she like her pants? :shock:

I made a 'deal' like that once. My last RD cost me $900 (1980). In return SHE got a $2500 dining room table! ...that didn't include the chairs.....

'She got' meaning 'I paid for!' ..in case you missed that part.

It was an ugly table..and she DID take it with her when she left!

Whatever 'mods' you put on your bike amount to sand poured down a rat-hole. Someone will get a sweet deal..and you will get screwed (I'm talking about the sale of your KDX, btw). If you find someone willing to pay $3k for it, great! Unlikely. Ski's figure is closer to it. So...the difference of $500 amounts to about squat if you compare that to what was spent on all the parts.

You will make a lot more $$ parting it out. It will also take a whole lot more of your time. Whether you come out ahead or not kind of depends on how much time you have..what it's worth to you.

Consider that $1900 KX is begging for a couple thou of goodies....at least.

Clean your KDX to a gleam..sell it for what you get...get your next bike.

Oh...part of this deal (as found out by a whole lot of other former greenies anyway) is you will miss the KDX more than what's-r-name.

Good luck!

...you selfish bastard! :twisted: I think I might have you beat...me bein' a f'n a-ole and all. :shock: Oh..wait...I'm confused...that was the one AFTER the table left....well the second one after, actually. :blink:

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Misery loves company. Mine actually had the gonads to start spouting off about me spending money on my bike, so I opened the door to the garage and asked "what bike?" "I don't see a bike in here...oh, maybe it's hiding behind that brandy new $34,000 F'ING MINIVAN!!!" :butthead:

She shut up about it.. :supz:

I really do think that some of the manufacturers could spur sales if they offered "divorce points" though. Say you go buy a Jet ski, that's 8000 divorce points. Get a new 1 liter Sport bike? 15,000 divorce pts. Save up say 50K divorce pts, they give you a free shipping conatainer to live in.

Could work..
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

It's a sticky/risky situation for sure. I feel like I'm on one of those game shows. "Will that be door #1 or door #2 ?" Keep the wife and the KDX may stay or go, or get dumped by the wife and loose the KDX and the other bike I just bought along with it and the shirt off my back. Hmmmmmmmmm :hmm: I'll take door #3!!!!!!!!! I'll book an en-expensive vacation to Bagdad, Iraq with one ticket being one way and the other return ticket that'll be in my pocket. I heard the air fairs are really low this time of year! Is that a crime? :twisted:

j/k :lol:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

jafo wrote:Is that a crime? :twisted:
Only if ya don't put air holes in her box... :shock: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I read this thread out loud to my wife. She says men are just a bunch of crotch sniffers and are all alike.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

skipro3 wrote:She says men are just a bunch of crotch sniffers and are all alike.
That's "BEER SWILLIN" crotch sniffers to you Mrs Skipro ?? hehe :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I feel sorry for you guys. Ok, maybe not...after all you chose to marry these women. :shock:

I on the other hand had no problem when I decided to pick up a KX250 and keep my KDX. :mrgreen: I just went out and bought it. Then I added all the offroad goodies. :wink: Man they look cool sittin' in the garage next to the cool $34,000 mini van. :cool: I go out and look at them every night just before I go to bed. I think about them all day long...6 days a week...while I'm at work to pay for them. On my day off, I even day dream about riding them.

Hmmmmm. :hmm: Maybe that's why she didn't put up much fight when I told her I was going to buy a KX. :blink:
Last edited by quailchaser on 11:44 pm Mar 14 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

She's thinking... better them than me! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Dunescreaminmama

Post by Dunescreaminmama »

This thread is a scream!

Back to topic--be sure and use Silkolene Pro Prep on your KDX plastics before you sell it. Shiny will probably get you more money than anything else, sadly enough.
Last edited by Dunescreaminmama on 01:28 pm Mar 15 2006, edited 1 time in total.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Colorado Mike wrote "I really do think that some of the manufacturers could spur sales if they offered "divorce points" though. Say you go buy a Jet ski, that's 8000 divorce points. Get a new 1 liter Sport bike? 15,000 divorce pts. Save up say 50K divorce pts, they give you a free shipping conatainer to live in.

Could work.."

That is a Great Idea that many of us could have used at least one in our lives!!! ROFLMAO :partyman:

I agree that dollar value does not change much between strictly a clean stock bike: and one that decked out by 99% of the buying public. ?

FWIW - us 1% ers - When I buy a use bike I DO make an allowance for those items which the bike has that I would add if it did not have at about 50% of their original value. But even though I try to be fair (IMO) I would only be giving you credit for the FMF exhaust system, V-force reeds, and radiator guards which would have a value of an additional $250. The front suspension change (+-$$) could go either way depending upon how the bike rode. A fresh piston tight engine adds nothing to the price (it is expected) but a worn top end will deduct $300 at least in my book. Good O-ring chain and sprokets are expected on a dirt bike IMO.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

skipro wrote:She says men are just a bunch of crotch sniffers and are all alike.
I guess there is a point in there somewhere...I just don't know what it is.

re: '..well the second one after..'

I didn't mean to imply that as a complete/up-to-date list...I mean...there is only so much time/space... :shock:

The faithful readers of this board know where my KDX came from! I don't brag about it.....that would be unkind. :wink:

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

CC, You and Kay Dee should be ashamed of yourselves.

Lucky gloating bastids! :roll:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:
jafo wrote:Is that a crime? :twisted:
Only if ya don't put air holes in her box... :shock: :lol:

HEY, you HAVE NOT been married(IMPRISIONED) LONG ENOUGH Trevor :rolleyes:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Gloating? Me? Nah!!!

[gloat]

There's quite a list, actually, besides the bike (AND the rig to haul it around!!!)...my Tech8s to my WER, Fox gear, '06 TLDs, etc. etc. The last one, though...those purty 30mm RB modified carbies for my cute 'lil Banshee..now THAT was GREAT!..... :wink:

[/gloat]

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Me ?? Gloat ?? NEVER !!!

Oh I better run Mel owes me a back massage...... :razz: :butthead: :lol: