sag settings for lowered KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
searle7

Post by searle7 »

I have a 2002 KDX 200 with stock suspension thats been lowered 2" by a local suspension tuner. The other day I noticed I had a really hard time in the sand and decided to change the tires and check the sag. By the way my front tire was the original and was 16 years old!!
Sag settings were
Race sag: 75 mm
Free sag: 40 mm
Weight without gear: 135 lbs
I've read that sag should be around 100 mm but I'm not sure where I should be since I lowered the bike 2".

Any ideas on where my sag should be?

Also I believe I have the stock 5.0 rear shock spring. I weigh 135 lb without gear and I though maybe going down to 4.6 could help. Any thoughts?
Where do you guys buy your springs anyways?

Thanks guys!
Austin
Last edited by searle7 on 07:46 am Apr 12 2018, edited 1 time in total.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: sag settings for lowered KDX

Post by bufftester »

Generally you would keep the same sag settings, but would need to change springs to achieve that. In other words, with a lowering link you would likely need a softer spring to end up at the same sag numbers. Most folks get their springs from RaceTech, though some have fitted springs from other bikes with some success.
searle7

Post by searle7 »

I'm not sure you understand what I am asking. The race sag is changed by the preload on the shock spring. I have 75mm currently but from what I've read that seems too little. Yes I probably do need a new rear spring but I don't know what the sag should be set at.

Also I didn't use a lowering link. Both the forks and the shocks were lowered internally.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. If it were mine, I would go for 33% of travel as a starting point. 100 mm is about a third of the 300-ish mm of stock travel.

On the spring, what is your weight in full riding gear with all your water backpack, extra parts, tools, etc,? If you decide on a 4.6 spring, there may be someone who has a 1989 - 1994 KDX200 with its stock 4.6 spring that might benefit from your stock 1995+ 5.0 spring. If you decide on 4.8, then there may be someone who has a 1991 - 1994 KDX250 with the stock 4.8 spring. Perhaps someone would trade and one way shipping is all both of you would have to pay.

If you want to just buy a spring, if someone on here does not have one for sale, then "I" would look on eBay for a used spring. Another possibility is to buy a used "E" shock and take the spring off and resell the body. There is one on there that is bad for $45 right now. You might could find a non-damaged shock for a bit more and get it just for the spring and then resell it. Breaking a spring is very rare. Someone shopping for a replacement shock usually had a bad shock and good spring. They could reuse their current spring.

LONG WINDED. Whew. :blink:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Correct, generally the sag should be 1/3 of the overall travel.

IMO KDX's don't do so well in sand, possibly due to the overall frame geometry. A new tire such as the Shinko fatty will help it float instead of knifing from side to side. Also more sag to set the weight bias to the rear.
searle7

Post by searle7 »

firsthere wrote:Correct, generally the sag should be 1/3 of the overall travel.

IMO KDX's don't do so well in sand, possibly due to the overall frame geometry. A new tire such as the Shinko fatty will help it float instead of knifing from side to side. Also more sag to set the weight bias to the rear.
Thanks for the input. My travel should be around 250 now... so that should put me at 83 mm.

Funny you mentioned the shinko fatty as that's the tire I put on. Shinko mx216 90/100 21. It's a big tire!
I will increase my sag and see if that helps.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What rate fork springs do you have?

If you have too little sag in the back, it will ride "stinkbug" or rear high.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Please let us know how the fatty front works for you.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I would contact the suspension shop that did the work and get their professional recommendation on the SAG. I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't give you that info when you picked up your shock.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
searle7

Post by searle7 »

Thanks for the replies. I will check with my suspension guy but its more of a side business for him and I'm not totally confident in his experience.

As I side note, I was looking at springs and looks like it will cost about $120 for a new spring. Going from 5.0 to 4.6 will I notice a big enough difference to warrant the cost?
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

When he lowered the internals was the spring cut down?
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

searle7 wrote:
firsthere wrote:Correct, generally the sag should be 1/3 of the overall travel.

Thanks for the input. My travel should be around 250 now... so that should put me at 83 mm.

Funny you mentioned the shinko fatty as that's the tire I put on. Shinko mx216 90/100 21. It's a big tire!
I will increase my sag and see if that helps.
The Shinko is 0.80 larger in diameter than a normal tire. I slipped my forks up about 1/2" to keep the stock geometry or your turn-in will be slower.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread