clutch wear

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw818

clutch wear

Post by kaw818 »

Hows it goin guys? Another question for the kdxperts. I have wear marks (gouges) on the inside of my clutch cover around the oil check window rim and also along one edge of my pressure plate. That indicates that the clutch is rubbing the inside cover. Its a relatively new wiseco clutch...im going to check the torque on the 4 bolts into the posts, but im almost certain its to spec....i notice that the clutch shaft has horizontal play in the case..is that normal? In this case i believe that is whats causing the assembly to move too far out striking the inside cover
Timtee

Re: clutch wear

Post by Timtee »

That play is normal.

Did you use gaskets on the inner and outer clutch coverd or RTV?
kaw818

Post by kaw818 »

Gaskets....u sure that play is normal? Those gouges i saw dont look very good. My oil is pretty clean when i change it...every 10, 12 hrs or so
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Play is normal. How much play do you have?

Any pictures?
kaw818

Post by kaw818 »

We're talking abt a little less than the width of a dime..more than i think is supposed to be there
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Sounds about right. I have had 6 or 7 KDX engines that have all had that.
kaw818

Post by kaw818 »

what would explain my clutch wear though?
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

First thing I would do is compare the height of the Wiseco vs the stock basket.
kaw818

Post by kaw818 »

Back to the kdx clutch after abt 2 weeks away....i have signs of wear inside the clutch cover and on the pressure plate. That indicates the clutch rubbing the side cover occasionally. all washers are correct, clutch basket is a wiseco, exact size as oem, everything is torqued correctly, and there is that clutch shaft that moves in and out a tiny bit, abt the width of a dime . I was told thats normal, but idk, that clutch is hitting the cover at times. Anyone ever experience this?....im thinking ive got a bearing problem inside...cant think of anything else. The power valve arm that comes out of the right side cover was also bent, replaced by a good one since. I dont imagine that would be a contributing factor
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

When you change your oil are you seeing signs of contact (i.e.: flecks of metal, shiny, glitter like appearance, etc?) Could be that it was existing damage from the PO? If you are not seeing signs of it in your oil that is likely the case. The clutch does have a bit of play that is normal
kaw818

Post by kaw818 »

tore it all down. having a shop put it back together and putting it up for sale. worse bike ive ever dealt with hands down
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kaw818 wrote:tore it all down. having a shop put it back together and putting it up for sale. worse bike ive ever dealt with hands down
Curious why you're bailing on it? I've seen the same or worse problems with other bikes so I'm really curious.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I would not be surprised if the wiseco parts are thicker/wider than stock other than pistons I've heard of some major quality problems from them.
Outside widths may measure the same but assemble everything with all washers and spacers lay it on a flat surface and use calipers to measure from the surface to the top of the inner hub. Do the same with the OEM set up.
The shaft play is normal but should not be present after the clutch is installed the large nut that holds the basket in takes that play up
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.