Runs but dies. Help needed

Got questions? We got answers....
KawE30

Post by KawE30 »

Hell to all, new to the forum. Recently got a 2002 KDX200 from an older guy who rode it not so often, but kept decent care of it.

He said the he did basic tune up maintenance before i bought the bike and said the bike is good to ride no issues and i believe him.

When i test rode the bike all was well. But getting back home and riding it more the bike started dying after couple minutes of riding. Then it was impossible to start. When i clean the plug it starts again no problem but dies soon after.

Im about to clean the filter and install a new plug. Any suggestions what may be causing this? Thank so much, you guys make up an amazing forum. Im a young guy with not that much mechanical experience, eager to learn though.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Runs but dies. Help needed

Post by bufftester »

First, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike.

First blush with the little info there is sounds like a fuel issue. Make sure you have good flow out of the petcock, and first step would be to pull the carb and clean it (Sounds a lot harder than it is) and check the float height. Also make sure all the grounds are good and clean.
Richkdx

Post by Richkdx »

did you check the basics like fuel level and if the fuel petcock is in the run or reserve position?

if it hasnt been ridden much and been sitting, youve prob got junk gummed up in your carb... hard to diagnose things over the internet, not having the bike in front of you..
KawE30

Post by KawE30 »

Yeah i know the basics, i also have a klx250s that i ride on the street and i learned on. Fuel was on , i tried on reserve too and fuel level is good. Ill do what u guys suggested and get back to you tomorrow
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome.
New plug
Drain out old fuel, put in fresh high octane fuel, non-rthanol if possible, 32:1 or 40:1 oil

Try again
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
antonyp

Post by antonyp »

KawE30 wrote:Hell to all, new to the forum...
Welcome to the forum - I couldn't help but giggle to your intro - funniest typo ever [emoji38]

I would also recommend to check if your plug has the correct heat range.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The key info...
KawE30 wrote:When i clean the plug it starts again no problem but dies soon after.
Either the fuel is bad, the carb is in need of service, or both.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KawE30

Post by KawE30 »

Drained the fuel, put in a new plug and the bike started rode and idled like a dream. Gotta love these 2 strokes. So fun so low maintenance its almost unbelievable. Spend 2 dollars on a spark plug and it rides like new.

Great advice guys. Love this kdx :supz: . Makes my klx250s feel like a turd. But thats an awesome bike too, i did 96 mph indicated on the interstate with it the other day. Mind you, it was with a tailwind but pinned behind a semi ,still impressive for a 250 4t.
KawE30

Post by KawE30 »

antonyp wrote:
KawE30 wrote:Hell to all, new to the forum...
Welcome to the forum - I couldn't help but giggle to your intro - funniest typo ever [emoji38]

I would also recommend to check if your plug has the correct heat range.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
I just noticed, that really is funny as hell

The plug was the right model br8es i believe, but for 2 bucks i switched it out for a new one regardless.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

the br8es plug is fine. Always keep a spare on hand. Glad you got her going without much trouble, and welcome to KDXRIDER!