Cutting off my muffler

Got questions? We got answers....
Theron

Cutting off my muffler

Post by Theron »

So, I was wondering what would happen if I cut the muffler off my bike. Obviously, it is going to be loud but will it mess with anything else? And if I chose to put it back on the bike is there a way after I cut it off?
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Re: Cutting off my muffler

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Theron wrote:So, I was wondering what would happen if I cut the muffler off my bike. Obviously, it is going to be loud but will it mess with anything else? And if I chose to put it back on the bike is there a way after I cut it off?
Don't cut it off. Two bolts and it slips off?

I can't see what the point is, since your stinger will spurt splooge, sparks and sound!
Theron

Post by Theron »

Ok, thanks, I have seen a lot of splooge as the bike is now and sparks? what causes that
Theron

Post by Theron »

I haven't really checked anything on my muffler I just got the bike a week or 2 ago and haven't been able to ride due to the weather and school
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

Don't cut it off, it serves a purpose.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
david

Post by david »

Theron wrote:Ok, thanks, I have seen a lot of splooge as the bike is now and sparks? what causes that
Sparks are hot carbon embers that make their way through the unrestricted expansion chamber. Two strokes build up a lot of carbon in the pipe. When little pieces get hot enough to burn and fly out with the exhaust gases, they can cause grass or forest fires. That's why woods bikes are required to have approved spark arrestors on them in order to ride on federal land. Plus, straight pipes are just WAY too loud and give all bikers a bad rap in the eyes of the general public.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Please don’t do that. It reflects poorly on our sport to run intentionally loud bikes and contributes to closing of land to off-road riding every year.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I think cutting your muffler will affect the low end power of your bike. low end power is really good for a 2-stroke on the kdx, its what makes them great. And what others have said, so many no tresspassing signs on the land anymore, you cant even leave a public road without being arrested anymore. It's because of disrespectful riders tearing up the land on overpowered machines or kids with loud bikes because they cut the mufflers off. nobody wants to listen to that.
Theron

Post by Theron »

Ok, I won’t take it off I get that it gives a bad rep for the riders I will just look into getting a different midfler thanks for the feedback