Tell me about gaskets

Got questions? We got answers....
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Tell me about gaskets

Post by BamBam »

Take the gasket for the reed cage, for instance.

I get that we use gaskets to seal between two metal flanges. But a buddy said I should also be using some sort of liquid stuff to help seal at the gasket. I thought the gasket was supposed to be the thing that made the seal?

What should I be applying to either side of the OEM gasket?
Chilly

Re: Tell me about gaskets

Post by Chilly »

Don’t use anything but the gasket. Shouldn’t have to use anything else
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I use Maxima High Temp Waterproof grease on every gasket except the head gasket because its not paper and already comes off clean. Its wheel bearing grease basically but listed as high temp...who knows. I apply the grease to both sides of the gasket, but so little that if I held the gasket up you wouldn't know that there was grease on it unless you touched it. It comes in handy on gasket locations where you need to service parts like the flywheel cover, clutch cover, right side engine cover, reeds, etc. The greased gasket comes off clean and can be reused rather than half sticking to the engine and half sticking to the cover. Sometimes it seems like scraping the old gaskets off is the worst part of a service job, like when I did my top end. You don't need the grease though. The only time you need a liquid type gasket maker is in between the crankcase halves.

A thin layer of that grease also helps to seal the pipe orings to the cylinder I believe.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tell me about gaskets

Post by pumpguy »

IME, it depends on the gasket material and the joint face surfaces.

If the joint face surfaces are clean and flat, and the gasket is any kind of metal or fiberous material, I agree with the advice given above.

On the other hand, if the gasket is any kind of rubber like material, I have found that most gasket sealers act as a lubricant that causes the rubber to squish out between screws holding the parts together, resulting in a doubtful seal. So now, my recommendation for rubber type gaskets is to apply dry with clean and flat joint face surfaces.
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

I am thinking I may have an air leak where the reed cage meets the cylinder (or carb to cage). Was going to remove and re-secure. Was thinking some sealer would help on both sides of the gasket for any irregularities from the last time I scraped gaskets off hard.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Tell me about gaskets

Post by SS109 »

No sealer needed on any gasket on a KDX. Like mentioned before, maybe a very light greasing on a paper gasket in an area you'll be servicing regularly, otherwise install dry.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Maybe I just created an air-leak by removing the reed cage (to put in the new Boyesen 607 reeds) and using the same gasket going back on?

It was a very new gasket from a top end rebuild. At least looked like new. Maybe only 6 hours of run time? Is it one of those things that if you secure a part even once its done?

Someone recommended a product called "Gasgacinch" if you are having problems with tiny air leaks at a paper gasket installation. Anyone ever heard of it? Reviews are stellar...
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Tell me about gaskets

Post by SS109 »

Gasgacinch is good stuff. Still wouldn't use it on my bike unless I had no other option. Try lightly greasing it and make sure to evenly tighten down the bolts spec.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

" Is it one of those things that if you secure a part even once its done?"

pretty much

Are you tightening in a star pattern or around the clock?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

I did use the star pattern and torque to spec following cyclepedia instructions.

Was not clear about that one-and-done paper gasket premise. I thought if it looked great it still was great. But that makes sense now. Like the protection inside a helmet. Once it gets compressed, it does not perform the same way ever again. Live and learn!!