Spark plug wire

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Spark plug wire

Post by SS109 »

Curious how many here have replaced their plug wire and, if so, what with? OEM, aftermarket, or ??? Anyone done a performance wire upgrade? Thinking about replacing mine so would love to hear what others have done.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Spark plug wire

Post by John_S »

Curious..can you change just the wire? Does the wire pull out of the coil like the boot pulls off of the wire? I spent the money on a new OEM coil/wire when I was chasing a problem and it made no difference at all so now I have a 20 minute old coil sitting "in stock". That was an $85 mistake :doh:. Hopefully for my sake, I'll need it someday.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Spark plug wire

Post by SS109 »

Yes, the wire can be removed. It is only pushed on to a pin within the socket on the coil. My last plug wire went bad and I replaced it with a cheap generic automotive one. Was thinking about replacing it with something better. Thinking some Taylor Pro wires for a Harley can be made to work.

It seems not many have given plug wires any thought. How many have built a hot rod/muscle car on here? If you have, did you just through on any old plug wires? I bet not!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
david

Re: Spark plug wire

Post by david »

I believe the plug wire is a solid core. Haven't looked at mine very closely, but some types are potted into the coil to prevent water from getting in, basically hot glue. If you just get the correct outer diameter, solid core performance wire you should be good. I think it should screw onto a threaded center pin, I've never seen one that just pushes into place.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki