1991 kdx 250 shifting issues

Got questions? We got answers....
San

Post by San »

Hi guys just finished rebuilding my kdx250 was my first rebuild all new to me full rebore 67.4 to 68.5, brand new crankcase bearings and seals. A lot of time and money only to find once I put it all back together and took it for a run changing from first to second seems almost impossible a lot of grinding with clutch pulled in I have tightened the cable I've even put a small piece of pipe over to give me more travel still no difference the only thing I haven't replaced is clutch plates could this be causing the issue?
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Did you test shift the tranny before you reinstalled the engine back into the frame?
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1991 kdx 250 shifting issues

Post by bufftester »

Not likely its the clutch plates, does it grind in any other gear change combo? As Molly asked, did you check shifting prior to closing up the motor? Could be as simple as the something misaligned on the shift star/lever under the clutch, or could be more serious like a shift fork or gears installed incorrectly, missing shims, etc.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

San wrote:Hi guys just finished rebuilding my kdx250 was my first rebuild all new to me full rebore 67.4 to 68.5, brand new crankcase bearings and seals. A lot of time and money only to find once I put it all back together and took it for a run changing from first to second seems almost impossible a lot of grinding with clutch pulled in I have tightened the cable I've even put a small piece of pipe over to give me more travel still no difference the only thing I haven't replaced is clutch plates could this be causing the issue?
Pull the clutch side cover and look at the shifting drum
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
San

Post by San »

bufftester wrote:Not likely its the clutch plates, does it grind in any other gear change combo? As Molly asked, did you check shifting prior to closing up the motor? Could be as simple as the something misaligned on the shift star/lever under the clutch, or could be more serious like a shift fork or gears installed incorrectly, missing shims, etc.
I can select all gear while bike isnt running and at a stand still only when i get momentum becomes a problem.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Sounds like a reassembly error
San

Post by San »

Ok so after taking a closer look it was a very simple fix I had a minor derp I didn't give myself enough clearance between the gear shift lever and the drive sprocket :doh: , Needles to say it changes throw smooth as silk now and goes hard but I would like to say thank you to all of you who tried to help just another fix to keep in the back of the mind now.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting it figured out. :bravo:

Also, congratulations on having a KDX250! :boogie:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128