Hinson clutch basket

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Hinson clutch basket

Post by KDXer »

What is it that make these so expensive / good ??

I recall CC saying something had to be modified or something like that ?? Could be wrong though.

I will probably just hang out until I find a used basket over there on eBay and can afford to send it to Gary at EFM.

Any input on these baskets would be appreciated, thanks.

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Why do you need one?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

From what I recall the only known source of Hinson clutch baskets for a H series KDX is from Jeff Fredette.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:From what I recall the only known source of Hinson clutch baskets for a H series KDX is from Jeff Fredette.
That is correct. :mrgreen: Hinson no longer makes them for the KDX. :sad: The last time we ordered one from him he said his inventory is getting pretty slim on these.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Fredette has them all (he said). Hinson quit making them, he bought what he could get his hands on. He sells them for $200 (that price from just a few weeks back). I asked Mr. Black if he could get me one...his source no gots. That said as another indication that Mr. Fredette does have the corner on that piece.

Even so, at $200US, FRP sells them for a good price!

The 'missing' part is the gear that is riveted to the clutch basket. The Hinson basket comes without that gear. You need to remove your gear, reattach it to the new basket.

Re: What makes them so 'good'

Supposedly better material less prone to getting dinged up by the plates. I don't know if any testing/research went into improved oiling on a KDX Hinson basket. One would hope so.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Just an FYI Gary, at EFM does improve the oiling on the clutch basket when he modified mine as an auto clutch. Several oil holes drilled to facilitate oil flow. Probably necessary since the KDX clutch is prone to grab if it has sat for any time at all.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes, they do. But...yours sits 'off', the OEM clutch sits 'on'.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Do you think it would be worth the effort to have the clutch lever pulled in on the bike when it's not being used? Perhaps a velcro strap on the clutch lever. Would it weaken the springs to have them compressed for extended periods if that was done?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've wondered the same thing. Haven't done it...for one, the reasons you list, for two...the fact that it sticks when it's cold doesn't effect me.

Last ride, a punkin rider asked me if I knew how to adjust an hydraulic clutch. The problem was he could not engage the clutch. Didn't see anything leaking. I told him there wasn't much in the way of adjustment excluding the lever...and he had that as tight as it could get.

'Can you see the clutch through the oil access hole?' I asked? He didn't think so. I took the plug out, saw the pressure plate move fine with lever pull, separated the plates with my fingernail, plugged it back up..worked fine.

Race Ready! Oh yeah!!

So...what WAS the point of saying all that?

Can't say as I have any idea. :wink:

Punkins 'stick' too, I guess.

Consider the source