Kdx220 stuttering 1st and 2nd

Got questions? We got answers....
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I rebuilt my kdx220 and ever since it has stuttered in first and second gear up high. Above those gears it seems like it doesn’t do it or it just gets over with it really quick I took it all apart to make sure the kips was all aligned and it wasn’t but I aligned it and it is still doing the same thing. If I rev my bike up from a standstill and take the round flat head kips shaft cover( don’t know if that is the right term) the shaft does not move
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kdx220 stuttering 1st and 2nd

Post by John_S »

The shaft won't move until 6,000 rpms so make sure you're revving it high enough. Under the slotted cover is a small hollow bolt that has two brass washers, a spring, and ball. Did you put the brass washers back during rebuild? If not the ball and spring may be putting too much pressure on the kips shaft gear and not allowing it to open. Taking that spring and ball detent out allows the kips to open very freely when revving through 6,000 rpms. If you double check everything and the kips shaft isn't moving still then the pin at the end of the kips actuator shaft may be bent or broken. Did you have the right side engine cover off during your top end? Did you support the actuator shaft when you loosened and then retightened the left hand thread nut? Did it run fine before the rebuild?

Side note: I'm not a fan of the spring and ball detent. I removed mine for testing and read that it may give it an mx bike light switch style on/off powerband. I only noticed that it ran better and felt more responsive but still linear power like before. I left it out.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I will Check the ball and spring tommorow and is the actuator shaft the the opposit threaded thing?
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Just took the clutch cover and the thing the clutch cover bolts into off and the pin fell out as soon as I pulled it off. It probably broke because when I rebuilt the engine I did not know the left handed thread nut was like that so I probably bent it up pretty good. Just glad it didn’t mess up my gears or anything like that.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

You won't be the last person to break that pin. That's why a service manual is so important. Hopefully you used a torque wrench on the cylinder and head nuts. If not, get a torque wrench and a motion pro torque wrench adapter so you can access and torque 3 of the 4 cylinder nuts properly. One cylinder nut is easy to get to without the adapter. You can find the adapter on Rocky Mountain atv or eBay. Now that the right engine cover is off you can access the right cylinder nuts much better without the kips actuator shaft in the way. I'm glad to hear you caught it before anything major happened.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

glad it was not worse
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Does anyone know that part number or what it is called I am having a hard time finding it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Elijah

Post by Elijah »

No
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I know something on the diagram broke but I don’t know what broke/what I need to buy
https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemp ... over-s[url][/url]
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Picture??
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I lost the piece but it looked like the piece of metal that he found at3:35
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The KIPS pin is LEVER-COMP,GOVERNOR 13236-1260. You will want to drain all your oil and make sure everything looks good, and keep the broken pin so you can compare to the new one and get an idea of whether or not you have found all of it.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

If youre in the US start an acct (free) with rocky mountain atvmc. Then go to OEM parts. They have the lever, the screws that hold it on the shaft, and the oil seal that the shaft goes into in stock. I cant believe how many parts those guys keep in stock and typically have it at my door step 2 business days from ordering. You can also (from the home page) put your bike in the search (parts that fit my machine) and it lists a lot of the aftermarket parts they sell for the KDX. Between them, partzilla, ebay, and even amazon you can pretty much rebuild a KDX. Online shopping for dirtbike parts is a beautiful thing!!