Hard Cold Cranking

Got questions? We got answers....
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hard Cold Cranking

Post by doakley »

So I've been dealing with a pesky cold cranking issue for a long time. The bike cranks easily and runs great when warm but that first crank of the day, almost regardless of outside temp, is a bitch. It got so bad I had to resort to ether for the first crank of the day. Checked everything I (and you guys) could think of. Compression was good, carb clean, etc. It cranked easily cold when I got it but had gotten progressively worse. Somebody said "jet block gasket". This just didn't make any sense to me at all. Finally, I put in a new one, even though the existing didn't show any problems.
The bike appears to be cranking easily cold now! (At least the last two times) Lesson learned. If you're having unexplained carb problems, just change it as a matter of course. It's cheap and easy. The special Torx socket cost more than the gasket I think!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hard Cold Cranking

Post by KDXGarage »

Cool
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think we will see this more and more. Even without dipping or soaking eventually those rubber gaskets are going to fail. The last KDX was built 12 years ago, so... yeah. Glad you got it sorted!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I was looking for the admission of guilt on leaving fuel in the tank / float bowl. LOL :lol:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yep, the jet block gasket problem is becoming a much more common occurence considering the age of our carbs.
Jason wrote:I was looking for the admission of guilt on leaving fuel in the tank / float bowl. LOL :lol:
What, you're not supposed to do that? :mrgreen: I have never drained my tank or carb unless I plan to work on one or the other. I see no need to. Of course, mine is normally getting fresh fuel regularly since I ride every week. I did just go three weeks without riding due to this crazy flu going around but it still started by third kick.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

FS: Brown KDX fuel tank, has a tinge of lime green to it. :lol:

I try not to keep gasoline in plastic cans, whether bike fuel tanks or even for the lawn mower. Metal, metl, metal. AND, I try to run out the float bowl after riding. I'm too old, fat, tired to clean out pilot jets and tee niny tiny air passages.