Tire Sizes and Choices

Got questions? We got answers....
1gakdx

Tire Sizes and Choices

Post by 1gakdx »

Getting ready to put some new tires on my 2003 200. What tires and sizes you running ? Thanks in advance .
CPC, Inc.

Re: Tire Sizes and Choices

Post by CPC, Inc. »

Just put a Maxxis soft to intermediate, 120/100 -18 on the rear, LOVE IT!
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I run the Michelin S12XC on the front and rear. They're for soft to intermediate and I like them a lot. The sizes are strange though because my 130/80 rear tire is the same as 110/100 in other brands. Rmatv has the size references when you look up the S12.
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

Shinko 505 Hybrid Cheater rear 110/100-18
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Running the Sedona mx907hp with a tubliss at 4 psi and its the bee's knees. 120 wide. Ridden probably 50 hours on it so far and it's just now starting to round the fronts of the knobs and I don't have a delicate clutch hand. Still has plenty of traction in a bunch of muddy nasty crap that left my bike looking like this. Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

^Your poor fork seals...

Currently running a Dunlop Geomax MX51 120/100-18 (no longer available I guess, looks like they have gone to the MX52) with Tubliss at 5 psi. Mostly like it, sucks in the desert for longevity though.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bufftester wrote:^Your poor fork seals...
No offense but it doesn't hurt fork seals, or springs for that matter, whatsoever. I don't know why this myth still lives in today's age.

As for tires, Goldentyre GT216AA 90/100-21 "Fatty" at 12psi up front and Sedona MX907HP 120/90-18 at 5psi rear and both with Tubliss. The front is simply the best front tire I have ever used bar none! The rear is my #2 favorite rear ever. It's a great all around tire that really lasts. However, I would still be running the Goldentyre GT523KX 110/100/18 (really more like a 140 width!) if they still made it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Tire Sizes and Choices

Post by thirdgenlxi »

My 2 favorite rears are the IRC VE33 Enduro, and the Shinko 505 Cheater. I did just put on a fresh 525 Cheater but haven't gotten to ride on it yet though. I imagine it'll be just as good as the 505..... I really don't know what the difference is between the two. I usually run a 110/100-18. Ran a Kenda Equlibrium before that was a little bigger and it chewed the hell out of my mudflap (had to replace it). The IRC has HUGE deep lugs..... it's like a claw. The Cheater is soft and gummy.... it's a trials hybrid. Both are cheap too.... like $65, and last quite awhile. I run with Tubliss at 5 psi

My go-to front is the Bridgestone M59 in the stock 80/100-21 size. It's always done well and lasted a long time in the rocky stuff we have here. Rumor has it they're being discontinued though, so I may have to find something else

This is the 525 Cheater I just mounted.... Hopefully will be able to get out this weekend and try it out! Work and weather have definitely not cooperated the past few weeks

Image2018-02-06_01-16-45 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

SS109 wrote:
No offense but it doesn't hurt fork seals, or springs for that matter, whatsoever. I don't know why this myth still lives in today's age.

As for tires, Goldentyre GT216AA 90/100-21 "Fatty" at 12psi up front and Sedona MX907HP 120/90-18 at 5psi rear and both with Tubliss. The front is simply the best front tire I have ever used bar none! The rear is my #2 favorite rear ever. It's a great all around tire that really lasts. However, I would still be running the Goldentyre GT523KX 110/100/18 (really more like a 140 width!) if they still made it.
I'm going to try that front tire next time I'm due for a replacement. Regarding the forks seals, it's not a myth. Next time you service your forks, put your hand over the top of the fork to seal it where cap goes (no spring installed) and push the fork down. That will help force the oil down and purge the air up but also will show you just how much pressure you're putting against the oil seal. It's a lot of pressure on the seal to be compressed like that.
It would be like taking a fully extended syringe half full of oil/half air and plugging the end. If you pushed hard enough it would leak at the rubber seal.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Tire Sizes and Choices

Post by SS109 »

thirdgenlxi wrote:...I did just put on a fresh 525 Cheater but haven't gotten to ride on it yet though. I imagine it'll be just as good as the 505..... I really don't know what the difference is between the two.

This is the 525 Cheater I just mounted.... Hopefully will be able to get out this weekend and try it out! Work and weather have definitely not cooperated the past few weeks
The difference between the 505 and 525 hybrids is the knob spacing. Please keep me posted on that 525 hybrid tire. Been thinking about trying it next. We've run the 505 and found it has similar limitations as a traditional trials tire. On steep, gnarly, and loose downhills the rear end likes to come around on you and braking traction isn't as good as a standard knobby. The 525, with it's wider spacing of knobs, looks to fix this problem.
John_S wrote:Regarding the forks seals, it's not a myth. Next time you service your forks, put your hand over the top of the fork to seal it where cap goes (no spring installed) and push the fork down. That will help force the oil down and purge the air up but also will show you just how much pressure you're putting against the oil seal. It's a lot of pressure on the seal to be compressed like that.
It would be like taking a fully extended syringe half full of oil/half air and plugging the end. If you pushed hard enough it would leak at the rubber seal.
Sorry, John, but I have to respectfully disagree. It will not harm the seals whatsoever. At worst you might push some fluid past them but no more than if you were riding the bike. You will actually see much higher pressure spikes from riding than you ever will tying your bike down. If it leaks while tied down then you have dirt in the seal, dirt that has damaged the seal, or a scratch on the fork leg.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

SS109 I respect that, good point about the pressure spikes. My front tire goes into the corner of my truck with my back tire against the other bed side so I don't even know why I got involved on a seal discussion. I just wedge it in there and snug it down.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire Sizes and Choices

Post by firsthere »

Running the Sedona mx907hp also with a Kenda Tuff tube @ 7psi. Currently 110/100 but will probably go to the 120/90 to lower the seat height a bit.
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Currently running a Dunlop Geomax MX51 120/100-18 (no longer available I guess, looks like they have gone to the MX52) with Tubliss at 5 psi. Mostly like it, sucks in the desert for longevity though.
Those forks have an easy air release valve on them so that cuts alot of the pressure off

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tire Sizes and Choices

Post by ericr »

thirdgenlxi wrote:My 2 favorite rears are the IRC VE33 Enduro, and the Shinko 505 Cheater. I did just put on a fresh 525 Cheater but haven't gotten to ride on it yet though. I imagine it'll be just as good as the 505..... I really don't know what the difference is between the two. I usually run a 110/100-18. Ran a Kenda Equlibrium before that was a little bigger and it chewed the hell out of my mudflap (had to replace it). The IRC has HUGE deep lugs..... it's like a claw. The Cheater is soft and gummy.... it's a trials hybrid. Both are cheap too.... like $65, and last quite awhile. I run with Tubliss at 5 psi

My go-to front is the Bridgestone M59 in the stock 80/100-21 size. It's always done well and lasted a long time in the rocky stuff we have here. Rumor has it they're being discontinued though, so I may have to find something else

Image2018-02-06_01-16-45 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr
So what's the verdict on the 525's? I'm doing a build and just got in the 525 Cheater Hybrid and 216MX fatty front. I bought based on friends input on the Goldentire front equivalent and from what I read on the 525's. I hope I made the right choice.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread