Steering Stabilizers

Got questions? We got answers....
layoutd

Steering Stabilizers

Post by layoutd »

there are a lot of GPR and Scott's units in ebay that are listed for street bikes. other than the mounting hardware, how much difference is there in these? can they be used for offroad?
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The Scott's I've heard can be converted from street to dirt. Scott's support is very good, you should call or email them.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ski runs a scotts that was converted from street to dirt. I'm sure he'll check in and post what was needed to convert it.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup, I've got a street version of a Scott's dampener on my KDX. I called Scotts and talked to one of their technical folks. He said that the main difference is that the street version dampens in both directions; when turning away from center and when turning in towards center. The dirt version of Scotts dampener only dampens when being deflected from center. I've tried both and prefer the street version by many factors. I've tried the dirt version and didn't think it performed as well for a woods rider like I am. For me, it's just as critical that my front end be dampened when I've got the bars turned from center, so they won't be deflected back to center, as the other way around. For example, my bars are turned left to square up my front end to a log that is laying diagonally across the trail. I don't want the bars to be deflected back to center and the street Scotts dampens that potential out for me.

There are a few other setting differences but they are minor. If you end up with a street Scotts, I can let you know how to adjust the # of clicks for the controls so as to match the dirt version. Seems the street version used a lighter oil or larger oriface and the adjustments need to reflect this.

Hope my bathering makes sense.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

cool, thanks

thinks the GPR unit is the same way?

probably

i shall begin bidding
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'