Those with a stock kickstand...

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Does your kickstand leg have a bend in it like this one and does anyone have a good pic of the kickstand mounting plate from the side? I took a hard crash a while back and my kickstand has been wonky since. Trying to get everything back in shape so it won't tip over like it has since the crash.
kickstand2.jpg
kickstand2.jpg (131.3 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
kickstand1.jpg
kickstand1.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 4953 times
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Those with a stock kickstand...

Post by KDXGarage »

Me first, me first...

It's steel. Just bend it to any shape that suits your needs. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Jason wrote:Me first, me first...

It's steel. Just bend it to any shape that suits your needs. :grin:
LOL! Yeah, I'm planning to just trying to get it as close to stock as possible.
'11 GasGas EC250R
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I have 2 stock kickstands..... one has the bend, the other one doesn't, lol. I don't mind it though cuz it seem to keep it tucked in tighter to the swingarm than the other one that stuck out about a foot to the side :shock: I have 2 of the plates as well.... though one is modified slightly for supermoto. But I can snap a pic here in little bit if you want one
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

thirdgenlxi wrote:I have 2 stock kickstands..... one has the bend, the other one doesn't, lol. I don't mind it though cuz it seem to keep it tucked in tighter to the swingarm than the other one that stuck out about a foot to the side :shock: I have 2 of the plates as well.... though one is modified slightly for supermoto. But I can snap a pic here in little bit if you want one
I thought mine always had the bend. I agree, it tucks up nicely. The plate is what I think I bent. I guess a pic isn't really necessary but thank you. I'll just mash and mangle everything until it sits right again! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
barefootbob

Post by barefootbob »

I took mine off, it adds to the un sprung weight on the rear suspension.
Never yield the right of way
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The plate is normally flat, with a slight bend at the end. Yours is bent different than that!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I took mine off after the second time it hung up in the dirt on steep hills. Yeah, also reduces unsprung weight.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

LOL! Unsprung weight! While true, I doubt any of us could actually notice a difference in how the suspension reacts if we had our suspensions properly tuned. Well, unless someone here is an AA rider that I don't know about! :mrgreen:

Doakly, how in the world did you get hung up on your kickstand? I can't even imagine a way that can happen. :shock:

Anyways, I will never ditch my kickstand. I love having one and especially one that I can actually sit on the bike with it down and not worry about breaking it. :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
barefootbob

Post by barefootbob »

I notice it but the trails I ride are more technical and faster then I've seen you ride in your videos. :mrgreen:
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Doakly, how in the world did you get hung up on your kickstand? I can't even imagine a way that can happen. :shock:
Ha Ha! I fall a lot....Lay it on the left side and slide it down the hill a bit. The kick stand digs in. Damn near impossible to pick the bike up enough to clear the stand without dropping it again!
Trust me! I leave it on for casual trail riding but take it off for HS races and enduros.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

barefootbob wrote:I notice it but the trails I ride are more technical and faster then I've seen you ride in your videos. :mrgreen:
Technical and faster in the same sentence is kind of an oxymoron IME. :mrgreen: It's normally one or the other. Technical stuff is slow and fast stuff isn't technical unless we have very different definitions of the words.

My vids don't show half the stuff I have done or do. My latest vid the battery died long before we got to the real technical hike-a-bike stuff. As for fast, when I'm running sand washes I'm normally maxed out on the speed my KDX can maintain. However, I could possibly see you noticing how it affects the suspension if you got the KDX up to baja speeds. Of course, KDX's aren't normally known for going above 60-65mph. Not trying to argue with you but I don't understand how you can notice a difference at lower speeds unless something about your suspension is not right. I know it didn't make any noticeable difference when I removed mine, made no changes to the suspension, and ran without it and I'm a guy that can feel a one click difference on my suspension settings. That being said, I believe you feel some sort of difference but I just don't understand how.
doakley wrote:
Ha Ha! I fall a lot....Lay it on the left side and slide it down the hill a bit. The kick stand digs in. Damn near impossible to pick the bike up enough to clear the stand without dropping it again!
Trust me! I leave it on for casual trail riding but take it off for HS races and enduros.
Ah, I guess that kind of makes sense. I would have to be on a really steep hill for that to be possibly a problem. I've dropped plenty of times like that and just haven't had any issues yet. Is your kickstand bent where it sticks out or something?
'11 GasGas EC250R
barefootbob

Post by barefootbob »

Could have been more clear. I ride mostly 2 places. Cow mt that has some nice technical trails that you can rip on and also some flowing fast trails. The other place is called Middle Creek that has flowing trails, nothing real technical but because they are faster trails they have more breaking bumps and woops that work the suspension. I really like the technical trails out Cow and when we get to those most people I ride with pull over and have me take point because I ride hard on those trails and they don’t want to hold me up. The difference is your riding mostly desert and I ride in the woods, I wouldn't mind doing some riding in the desert but I have nice places to ride with in a hour of my house. I don’t notice the kickstand to much I guess but at my age and the crew I ride with I need all the help I can get. My last ride I had that little kdx on its edge, bike was working real good, still figuring out the power range for shooting up rooted step up's. Almost forgot, we also have a place called Indian Valley. When it comes to technical trails, we have trails that it can take hours to go just a few miles but it's quite the drive to get to when Cow or Middle Creek are so close. I've been trying to retire from riding for a few years now but I just cant do it. My doctors wish I would but I love riding my dirtbikes. I haven't got out on the kdx with my GoPro yet, in fact I never recorded anything on my last bike a 2017 KTM250xc. I do have some video action from other bikes like A Beta520rs and another KTM I have a few years back. What I do like about the kdx is the short wheel base, it fits my riding style. Maybe I should do a Hybrid but put a kx250 motor in the kdx frame. :supz: