Stuck Shock Compression Adjuster KX125

Got questions? We got answers....
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rexemouse »

Hello,

I am currently building a hybrid with a 2003 KX125. I bought the KX as a roller, and man this thing is rough. One of the many issues i'm dealing with is that the shock compression adjustment is seized, and the screw is partially mangled. I tried soaking it in penetrating oil, but it not budging and the screw is getting further damaged if i try to force it.

Question is, Where do I find a replacement? Is there a cross reference of bikes that might use this shock? Or is it just cheaper to buy another shock from ebay?

From a recent post "98 kdx200 into kx frame", a member suggested using a 99-02 shock because it has high speed adjustment. I don't really care too much about the high speed compression, but i'm not really finding a lot of background regarding compatibility. Can anyone here confirm if these 99-02 shocks swap with the 03-05 KXs?

Thanks,

-Justin

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Stuck Shock Compression Adjuster KX125

Post by KDXGarage »

I would assume it is toast. After releasing all the pressure and dumping the oil, you might try drilling out the peens (3 mm or 1/8" bit, down 1 - 2 mm, just enough to drill them out), then remove the compression adjuster assembly.

2003 does not have the bleed bolt, if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, buy a new one, as again, it is probably toast. It's brass inside aluminum, and someone cranked on it. :oops: :oops:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Stuck Shock Compression Adjuster KX125

Post by KDXGarage »

I would assume it is toast. After releasing all the pressure and dumping the oil, you might try drilling out the peens (3 mm or 1/8" bit, down 1 - 2 mm, just enough to drill them out), then remove the compression adjuster assembly.

2003 does not have the bleed bolt, if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, buy a new one, as again, it is probably toast. It's brass inside aluminum, and someone cranked on it. :oops: :oops:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I know on my buddy's '03 KX250 we swapped in a shock from an '02 for the high speed compression. It fit perfectly. I would think the KX125 would be similar. Switching to a shock with HS compression is well worth it IMO.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rexemouse
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rexemouse »

Okay, sweet. I just bought a 2002 kx250 shock ebay for short money. I'm glad that it's an upgrade. Thanks