Rear Brake Bleeding Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Ok, 2003 KDX 220. I can't get the rear brake to bleed. Worked fine before I replaced the rear brake hose. Is there a trick to get the master cylinder to bench bleed? I have a hand vacuum & get fresh fluid out the rear caliper. I just can't get any pedal. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Because the reservoir is higher then the brake caliper, trapped air needs to be pushed from the caliper out the reservoir. I do this by removing the reservoir cap filling a syringe with brake fluid, with a short piece of tubing attached to the syringe, push it on the brake caliper bleeder, crack open the bleeder and slowly push the fluid in. This should push fluid in and air out the reservoir. You should see bubbles in the reservoir. Good luck
jackbombay

Post by jackbombay »

canamfan wrote:Because the reservoir is higher then the brake caliper, trapped air needs to be pushed from the caliper out the reservoir. I do this by removing the reservoir cap filling a syringe with brake fluid, with a short piece of tubing attached to the syringe, push it on the brake caliper bleeder, crack open the bleeder and slowly push the fluid in. This should push fluid in and air out the reservoir. You should see bubbles in the reservoir. Good luck
Yep, you can usually get a large syringe from a Veterinarian's office.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rear Brake Bleeding Question

Post by KDXGarage »

Tractor Supply sells them.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Yup.... that's what I had to do with my front when I replaced my brake hose (pump fluid in from the caliper bleeder)

Also being the rear, since it's a little more doable than the front.... a little cumbersome but you can prop the caliper up a little higher than the master cylinder and bleed it there (take the hose out of the little retainers along the swingarm too). That way the bleeder is the highest part and the air will go to the bleeder. Good idea to stick something in between the pads though to keep them from closing together and possibly popping the piston out (if the pads are super low)
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Thanks everyone, I will get a syringe after work today. I'll report back. :grin:
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I ended up getting one of these, not much difference from using a syringe tho (and not heavy duty enough to use on a car or truck): works great on all of my bikes tho!

I can't believe it took me so long to try reverse bleeding lol could have prevented a lot of headaches in the past!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

I found a package of two large heavy duty syringe's @ Atwood's for only $3.88 :grin:

However, I can only push a very small amount of brake fluid into the rear brake caliper. I can pull fluid from the reservoir to the caliper with no problem. Should I remove the caliper & relocate it? Or, do I have a problem?

I still plan on doing this to the front brake system. I hope I get better at this before then.

I am very mechanical. Ive done many brakes before on other vehicles. I'm having areal WTF moment. I need advice.

What ever it takes is what will happen. I have all winter. Thanks
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I would think if you can pull fluid you could push fluid. I always start from the beginning when I have trouble, well sometimes I just get a hammer and!! Any way you replaced the brake hose, so I would start there. Take it off and check it out, maybe you'll see something wrong. Sometimes you just need to back up and look things over.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I never did try reverse bleeding. I normally end up pulling the whole setup off and clamping the caliper to the top of a ladder with the master cylinder hanging down low. This has always worked for me. Next time I will definitely try the reverse bleed!
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Update. I'm back to work on the KDX today. I took off the rear caliper & the piston is stuck. I could not push it in all the way. I guess I never really took care of that part. I'll just rebuild it. I got the time. :grin:
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

good deal, hope it works out