Rear shock type

Got questions? We got answers....
ico135

Rear shock type

Post by ico135 »

About to rebuild rear shock on 04 200 and the only place that I can find that recharges the nitrogen is the Honda shop and will only do it for Hondas. Does anyone know the brand of shock that is on these bikes and of any Hondas it might have been used on?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rear shock type

Post by kawagumby »

kdx's use a KYB shock. I just did a quick search and found a 2003 cr125r uses a KYB shock...I'm sure there are many more models that do so.

It is weird that the shop only charges shocks off a honda. Any suspension outfit will charge it for you tho'.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

LAME

Look around for another dealer.

Several CR125 / CR250 / CR500 had KYB pver the years, especially the 125.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Check for any suspension shop, they can recharge it. Hard to believe a shop would be that ridiculous to only work Honda parts, definitely wouldn't get my business. Last time I recharged my shock the guy at the local shop charged a whole 5$
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Rear shock type

Post by thirdgenlxi »

One of the local suspension guys just recharged mine last Sat and didn't even charge me anything. That's stupid they wouldn't work on it if or wasn't a Honda..... They all charge up exactly the same way

Some tire shops that do nitrogen might also be able to do it, if their machines will go high enough pressure (142 psi)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I spent about $350 on my charging setup. It uses about 10 cents of nitrogen per shock. :roll:

You will have to find a shop with a no loss chuck. Anything else will not do it. Squeezing it into something the side of a baseball loses a MASSIVE amount of pressure when a normal chuck is taken off a shock reservoir. Before, during and after pressurization, there is a bath of high pressure within the hose and chuck system.

What is your location?

In all honesty, I am surprised at how many dealers charge up peoples' shocks that they did not work on. If someone did not set the clip properly, it would be quite dangerous and a lot of oil would fly out. I have had shock oil get on my eyeball before (Yes I was indeed wearing safety glasses). It was no fun at all. :mad:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
david

Post by david »

You can also check with some of the off-road shops. Some of the side x sides use rechargeable shocks. I'm fortunate that one of the guys at work is into off-road racing (King of the Hammers) and has a refill rig that I used.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
ico135

Post by ico135 »

Jason wrote: What is your location?
I'm in Northeast Mississippi.