ATF in clutch case

Got questions? We got answers....
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ATF in clutch case

Post by patreilly »

I have a RevLok auto clutch that was installed on an 2002 220 when I purchased it a year ago. The auto clutch operated fine last summer when I purchased, This November I couldn't get the clutch to disengage, My riding partner asked what the temperature was when the clutch operated fine. BINGO! I replied ambient temp was 35+ degrees warmer. Read here others stated that auto clutch operation is very dependent on oil viscosity and they used ATF in the clutch case. I filled with ATF. The clutch operates fine in cool weather now with ATF.
My question is does anyone have experience with ATF in the clutch case, and why not use ATF whether you have an auto clutch or not?
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

ATF in clutch case

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I don't have much knowledge or experience with the auto clutches, and don't have one myself. But I have used ATF in the trans almost the entire time I've had my bike (2 yrs 9 mos/840 hrs/15,000 miles) and never had a single issue..... still the same clutch and all, and always engages/disengages just as it should. Mind you my bike doesn't do much sitting, so I can't say if the plates would stick or not if it sits for awhile. It's high detergent like any ATF so it gets dirty kinda quick, but it's cheap enough I just change it out often..... soon as I see it start to lose it's redness, lol
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: ATF in clutch case

Post by ohgood »

atf in the winter
rotella in the summer

works great from the start, and the atf does a nice job of cleaning everything inside. I use atf on cables, chains, and when ratchet straps get rusty, there too.

squeaky doors? yup

atf, what wd40 should have been
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

ATF from Walmart all year round.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

ATF in clutch case

Post by pumpguy »

ATF combined 50/50 with Acetone is an excellent penetrating oil. Better than PB Blaster, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, etc.
david

Post by david »

I use ATF year round with a standard clutch, also.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ATF in clutch case

Post by patreilly »

Guys, Thanks for the response. It's ATF from now on !

Pat Reilly