Fork seals

Got questions? We got answers....
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fork seals

Post by doakley »

Tried searching but no luck so here is my question. I need to replace the fork seals in my 220 (stock Forks). Does anyone have a preference for seal manufacturer and where to buy?

Thanks!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork seals

Post by KDXGarage »

OEM, SKF or nothing. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork seals

Post by thirdgenlxi »

SKF is about some of the best seals you can get. Not cheap, but top notch quality. They're not commonly listed for the KDX stock forks though, even though they are readily available as they fit a ton of other bikes. This is the only place I can find the SKF seals with an actual listing for the 95-06 KDX. Keep in mind this listing is only for 1 seal and 1 wiper.... enough to do 1 fork only. So you would have to buy 2 kits to do a complete front end

http://www.innteck-usa.com/products/for ... ductID=187

Doing a little cross referencing though, since this is a common seal, you can look it up for other bikes as well. It's actually the same seals that my 94 KX-250 forks take, it just doesn't list the KDX on there for some reason. All the other bikes are the same on both lists

https://www.motosport.com/skf-complete- ... -wiper-kit

I can't find a single SKF bushing listing for a KDX anywhere, so if you want to find one listed for the KDX you'd have to get another aftermarket, like Pivot Works or All Balls. Or OEM, of course too. However, looking at other brand bushing kits for the KDX, on the fitment chart is the same list of bikes as above.... including once again, my 94 KX-250 forks are in the same fitment chart as the 95-06 KDX. So in theory you could get the complete seal, wiper, and bushing kit (SKF) for a KX-250, and it "should" fit the KDX stock forks

https://www.motosport.com/skf-complete- ... source=pdp

Don't forget the 5w fluid as well..... I only need 1 qt for my KX forks but it looks like the KDX forks take a little more and you'd probably need 2
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jason wrote:OEM, SFK or nothing. :mrgreen:
This. Except I'd say you might as well use OEM because by the time OEM seals start to leak, the fork oil is getting pretty nasty.
OldIron

Post by OldIron »

Great info. I'm looking at changing my seals out also. Never done it before but it looks like something I could tangle with.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Any and every body please remember that if the bushings are original, then they are probably pretty worn. Look into checking those as well.

I won't even get started on the internal cartridge rod bushing. :shock: :wah: :hmm:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128