Impact Wrench

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Impact Wrench

Post by Ryan »

Just wondering how many of you use an impact wrench instead of a fork holding tool. Im thinking about getting one so i have it for both of my bikes. Can i get one that isnt variable speed. Im just looking at electric ones on ebay that dont need a compressor. Is this a good idea or should i get the holder tool.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I don't think I would take an impact wrench to my forks...Others may differ on this.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I don't think I would buy an impact wrench if I only needed to use it for one task that only comes up every couple of years.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

I use a cheap Chinese electric impact wrench that I bought from Harbor Freight to pull the valve assemblies (and reinstall them) from the bottom of my forks. It works great.
'95 200H
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is a great little unit, they even have a 12V unit that is great for the roadside when changing tires.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Impacts are not a bad thing if you use some brains. Using one on forks is ok as long as you keep in mind that your working on certain parts of the forks only. You would'nt want to use it on the cartridge parts or anything that may be easily breakable. I understand what your saying about using the impact rather than the special vise clamps for holding fork tubes. I plan on getting a set of clamp jaws for fork tubes later on, but I already have an 1/2" air impact i plan on using until I get around to getting the clamp jaws. Just be careful and don't go nuts on tightening stuff with it. Just us it to break things loose like the fork cap and such.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i was thinking about using it to remove the base vavles. That way i dont have to get the holder but it may acutally be cheaper for me to get the holder. Will an impact wrench work for the base vavle or is it too fast??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Oh yeah, that being said I'd never go without having an impact wrench!!!!! You will find you use them for A LOT of things, even if it' just tire changes! It will come in handy when you change your clutch for sure. That's one place where I've used an impact on a bike.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

The guy in the video I bought recommended loosening the compression valves by hand until they moved freely and easily in the threads first before using an impact or other mechanical device. He used a large cordless drill to take them the rest of the way out. He did'nt state why you should do it this way but I'm thinking if you go in there and try to knock those loose with an impact, you'll ruin the shape of the part where the allen goes in. I can see that happening. The valve looks like it's made of aluminum, so aluminum thats tight in something + a 1/2" impact with an allen socket = stripping the valve out. Do them by hand first then use an impact to get them the rest of the way out.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You can get cordless impact drills. I use one alot and it drives in bolts that wouldn't go in with it set on drill only. The extra rattle seems to help alot with do-ing and un-do-ing.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so a cordless would be better than a corded?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

A decent powerful one should be OK. I would look at the specifications on each and decide from there.

I have a plug in type but not sure of the specs and the cordless one I use is 18v.

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ya i just want something cheap that will be able to disassemble my kx forks without the holder tool. How much torque do i need??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-ELECTRIC-IMPACT ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

would one of these do well for what i need it for. Also is it nessecary to have variable speed? Which of the two should i be more intent on buying? Or shoud i not buy either.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Either would probably do but I have a similar one to the top link and it would do the job.

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

do you think the bottom one would work or no?? Also do i need variable speed??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

KAY DEE EXER wrote:Either would probably do
I've never done it so I really don't know. I doubt that you would need an adjustable one due to the fact you need to quickly spin it off. I'm sure it would work.

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

does this one look like it is worth buying???

http://cgi.ebay.com/19-2V-CORDLESS-IMPA ... dZViewItem
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250