Impact Wrench

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'd get a power one rather than battery but it would still probably work.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

sounds good, i will get a corded one.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Impacts are not a bad thing if you use some brains.'

Oh yeah!! Well I use one!!!!

Kind'a blows THAT idea out of the water, 'eh?

Whatever kind/type/model you get, DO some checking on what it actually tightens to and how much 'trigger' it takes to get you there.

Test it on some 'safe' fasteners, backed up with a good torque wrench.

Ex: Put a lug nut on your rig, tighten it with your new wrench. Use your manual torque wrench to see what it torqued to.

BTW...repeated 'testing' of the same fastener with ever increasing torque settings will further tighten the fastener from what it was first torqued to. Well, 'refastening' the same fastener will change its required/applied torque, too.

The only reason I bring up any of that is to preclude someone saying, 'Yeah...but...'
to the 'test it' idea.

I use an air impact. I take into account the tank pressure and the settings on the wrench whenever I use it. I know what it does within a couple ft/lbs.

A story for you...why you need to know.

My riding buddy used his new SnapOn battery-operated torque wrench (adjustable) to tighten his flywheel once. Five minutes into the next ride, he sheared the key.

Guess it weren't tight enough, huh? :shock: The new (expensive, premium branded) wrench SAID it was!!

Test it!

Yes...that all has to do with tightening a fastener.

Loosening something? It will work fine...as long as you use some brains.... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

My Opinion. I could think of many tools I would get before purchasing an impact wrench.
I do not have an impact nor do I need one or ever use one for anything bike related. The only thing I would use one for is removing/installing lug nuts on my vehicle, other than that wrenches, sockets, and nut drivers.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well here is how i look at it, spend $30 on an impact or spend $30 on the holder tool for every set of differnt forks i have, that is 4 pairs so that is $120.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250