Rear rim ding

Got questions? We got answers....
tr7dan

Rear rim ding

Post by tr7dan »

Picked up a ding on the rear rim whilst out on the trail yesterday (one side only) - will it knock back into shape and if so what's the best way ?....

.... or is it a new rim ? :sad:

Dan
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Rear rim ding

Post by jjavaman »

I'd leave it, doesn't look to bad.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

It'll be fine, next time you fit a new tyre, use a dolly and hammer to massage it back into shape, have a good look for cracks though.
cornishwrecker220

Rear rim ding

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Make sure you check for any loose spokes as there may be a few.... Tighten accordingly .
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Use a little heat when straightening aluminum, or there is a good chance it may crack.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Do you have a hydraulic press?
tr7dan

Post by tr7dan »

Jim B wrote:Do you have a hydraulic press?
I don't have a shop press Jim, but I'm sorely tempted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Ton-Hydrau ... Sw7aBVDNgL

I can't believe how cheap they are - ok, it'll probably be a Chinese import.... and it probably wouldn't stand up to dealer workshop use.... but for occasional home garage use... what could possibly go wrong :grin:

Only problem for me is - with 5 bikes and an old sports car in need of renovation, space is getting a bit tight in my garage
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rear rim ding

Post by pumpguy »

An hydraulic press is a very useful tool. With your toys you should have lots of use for one, however I predict at some point you will be disappointed with only 6 tons pressing capacity.

I have a 20 ton press, and even with that much capacity it doesn't always do the work I need done.

When it comes to presses, I recommend you get the biggest you can afford or have room for.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

tr7dan wrote:I don't have a shop press Jim, but I'm sorely tempted

I can't believe how cheap they are - ok, it'll probably be a Chinese import.... and it probably wouldn't stand up to dealer workshop use.... but for occasional home garage use... what could possibly go wrong :grin:

Only problem for me is - with 5 bikes and an old sports car in need of renovation, space is getting a bit tight in my garage
With five bikes and an old sports car in need of renovation...you need a hydraulic press. :grin: All kidding aside, they're definitely useful tools. I have a 20-ton Harbor Freight/Chinese press, and it does what I need it to do. Nowhere near professional shop quality, but it works. I definitely agree with pumpguy - buy bigger than six tons.

I wouldn't buy a new rim if that was my bike. (As long as the one you have isn't cracked.) I've had decent luck straightening them out a bit with a press. Be careful/patient, obviously don't go too far and make things worse than they were to begin with.
bzdang

Post by bzdang »

tr7dan wrote:
Jim B wrote:Do you have a hydraulic press?
I don't have a shop press Jim, but I'm sorely tempted
The trick is to convince a friend that he needs one.