It don't rain, IT POURS !!!

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

It don't rain, IT POURS !!!

Post by KDXer »

I am one p!ssed off Aussie. Have a look why...

All I did was gently pop it into 1st and the gear lever hit the ground. I don't know how the hell it got that weak.

I am soooo annoyed because I'm guessing the whole engine must be pulled so the cases can be split, right ?? There goes another head gasket and probably around $700AU or so have the bottom end fixed. :evil: :evil:

Nothing at all ever goes to $#@%$# plan........ :evil: :evil:

$#%! YOU Murphy !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Please someone tell me I can get to it through the clutch side !!! :please: :please:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'm not really sure on the H series KDX's Trev but on the E series I believe you can replace the shift shaft without splitting the engine cases. I think the H bottom end is pretty much the same so you should be in good shape.

Don't you have a manual to look at? :rolleyes: :partyman:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I do have a manual but it's locked in my shed. I will go fetchg it later and have a better look. I just thought someone may know off the top of their head. Here's hoping. :partyman:

motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

I know for a fact that you can get to it trough the right hand side. Why? because I've had mine out. You just have to remove the right hand cover, clutch assembly, and maybe the kickstarter mechanism or gears... I don't exactly remember. But none the less it wasn't that big of an ordeal.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Just weld a big aluminum rod to it and you're good to go.

Don't have an answer for you - sorry. Tough luck man. Good luck on the fix.

Mark
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It's a good idea to replace the case seal around the shaft when you swap it.

<edit> Oh, and since your pic was so good, It looks to me like the top of the shaft had a cut in it for a while before it failed. there is a grey spot on the upper left that looks like an old crack, and the top of the shaft in general looks grooved as though something wore across it. Chain maybe? maybe whoever had the bike before used a very large sprocket , or left the chain loose.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
kawboy2006

Post by kawboy2006 »

you definitley can do it its an easy fix if youve ever changed a clutch basket before this is a step futher and easy replace that seal as suggested. "you do not have to pull the engine. just the kicker rear brake pedal, side case and clutch basket assembly its right there behind it pull it out put in new one exactly as old one came out and your back in motion.
2006 kdx200,
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks very much guys, It's a relief knowing the whole engine doesn't have to be pulled. I'll have a crack at it today. :partyman: :partyman:

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I am yet to do a clutch so what do I do next ?? Remove those four bolts in the clutch ??

Like my RB'D carb in the background ?? :supz:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Gees Trev, Check the manual. You do have one right?

Even I could change out the clutch. Even installed the auto clutch. Check my thread on that and you will see tons of photos taking the clutch out. Stop there and reverse to reinstall. Unless you decide now is the time to get an auto clutch that is.

Also, photos of taking the clutch apart in my gallery.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Indawoods wrote:Yep...
'Yep' to what ?? :roll:

What I had to do was remove the centre bearing etc to get to the big nut underneath.
skipro3 wrote:Gees Trev, Check the manual. You do have one right?
Sure I do, it was just locked down under the house in my garage. I have a 110db alarm that chirps as I punch in the code and it was late. :wink:
skipro3 wrote:Unless you decide now is the time to get an auto clutch that is.
I wish, but alas I am broke... :sad:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:
Indawoods wrote:Yep...
'Yep' to what ?? :roll:
To both questions....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cool. To clarify, it's not the four bolts that need to be removed to get the clutch basket out, it requires the centre bearing to be removed and the large nut behind it to be removed. The clutch then comes out, easy as pie... :mrgreen:

It was actually the whole assembley I needed out, not just replacing clutch plates etc. :wink:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That works... I always completely disassemble anyway....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I agree with Inda; now is a perfect time to inspect the plates for warp and wear as well as the clutch basket fingers for notching.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

There is slight notching on the fingers but I don't have the funds to get anymore parts. The clutch worked perfectly before the gear shaft failure so I think I will leave it be until I have more cash. :sad:

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Just file out the notches and you'll be good to go.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I was thinking I will file the fingers in a few months when I have the spare money to do the clutch. I just don't want to pull it apart and then not be able to afford to put it back together. :mrgreen: