Steel kips valves and stator

Got questions? We got answers....
El Gran Jamon

Steel kips valves and stator

Post by El Gran Jamon »

How has been the experience with these so far? Working good? Thinking of getting a set to keep ready.

Also replaced ignition stator again, they are lasting about 1200 miles or so from ricky stator...anything I should be looking at that burns em out so quick? Coil, other stuff checks out fine..

Any way to get a list flywheel removal tool to fix this in the field?
david

Re: Steel kips valves and stator

Post by david »

BDK KIPS valves are very well made. You won't be disappointed.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks, anyone have tips on stator? Fault, quick change tools, etc? I can change one out at home in about 30 min but don't want to carry the heavy flywheel holder on trail
david

Post by david »

Maybe try a good used OEM stator. I'm still running on a 27 yr old unit.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Alright, probably pick em up, keep bike for the long haul... cheaper than a new ktm 350 exc! Plated as well.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

when you press the kill button you are shorting out the stator for a high amount of current to go thru it till the crank stops turning.
I don't know why that is the common design but if instead you change to a switch that opens the wire going to the CDI then that would be one less life-shortening stress on the stator
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks, am aware of that, I usually kill it by stalling and avoid high rpm kills.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Jaguar wrote: I don't know why that is the common design but if instead you change to a switch that opens the wire going to the CDI then that would be one less life-shortening stress on the stator
Possibly a hold over from the days of points and condenser magneto ignition systems. Running a wire from the condenser connection to a push button normally open (horn button) ground switch will short out the system and kill the engine when the button is pushed.

To kill the ignition on the KDX by opening the CDI lead would require a normally closed switch. Possibly a headlight switch would work, although this is not "normally" open or closed.