Carb Overflowing

Got questions? We got answers....
claybo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Carb Overflowing

Post by claybo »

Hey guys, I've got a 220 with a stock PWK 33 carb on it. Fuel keeps leaking from the overflow and the bike runs super rich. The weird thing is that it won't overflow immediately. Last night, I took the bowl off and cleaned the needle seat. When I put it back on the bike, I waited probably 30 minutes and it wasn't leaking. However, I woke up this morning with a puddle of fuel under the bike. It has a new float needle and I think the float height is set correctly. The float will float in gas and doesn't seem to have any fuel in it when I take the bowl off. I've thoroughly cleaned the carb numerous times and still the same issue. I did notice the float tang does have a small pit in it where the needle sits. Could this be my issue? My wife is starting to get irritated at me spending too much time fiddling with this carb, so I'd like to get it fixed ASAP.
david

Re: Carb Overflowing

Post by david »

You should always turn the petcock off when not in use.

Set the float to 17mm see if that helps.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

2. Check the indention to see if it is preventing full closure and also check the carb body to be sure the surface is smooth. Somewhere on this forum is a thread about Simichrome and a Q-tip.

1. "My wife is starting to get irritated at me spending too much time fiddling with this carb, so I'd like to get it fixed ASAP."

You shoulda held off on that one. We just fix KDX's. :busted:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
claybo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by claybo »

david wrote:You should always turn the petcock off when not in use.

Set the float to 17mm see if that helps.
I usually do turn the petcock off, but since I've been having this issue, I've just left it on after tinkering to verify if it still leaks. I'll try setting the float height to 17 mm tonight. I've just been eyeballing it thus far. I'll see if I can find a method to get an exact measurement.

Thanks.
claybo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by claybo »

Jason wrote:2. Check the indention to see if it is preventing full closure and also check the carb body to be sure the surface is smooth. Somewhere on this forum is a thread about Simichrome and a Q-tip.

1. "My wife is starting to get irritated at me spending too much time fiddling with this carb, so I'd like to get it fixed ASAP."

You shoulda held off on that one. We just fix KDX's. :busted:
It didn't seem like it was when moving the float by hand, but I may order one just to try it. I didn't have any metal polish, but I saw an article with toothpaste and a Q-tip. I tried that, but it didn't seem to have much effect. I'll try the simichrome. What do you mean by "carb body" ?

Thanks for your help.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

where the viton tip goes into the body
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Definitely set the float height (don't eyeball it, you'll get it wrong. A cheap set of vernier calipers is all you need. Just youtube PWK float height), then polish up the float seat. Even with all that, if you leave the gas on and park it leaning on the sidestand it will probably leak, just the way these carbs are.