Street Riding

Got questions? We got answers....
ColoradoKid

Street Riding

Post by ColoradoKid »

Hey guys, first off thanks for this forum, it seems great! Im new to the 2 stroke scene as i recently purchased a 2004 KDX200 street legal bike. Im going to be mainly using the bike for trails up around 9k feet but since it is street legal i will sometimes ride around my city streets.
Just curious about any tips to be aware of if im transitioning from street riding at 6k feet to trail riding at 9k feet? thanks guys
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Street Riding

Post by Vossman »

Interested in the jetting you have currently. I have the same bike.
ColoradoKid

Post by ColoradoKid »

i honestly do not know yet but when i take off from 1st its a little laggy. i think im running a little too rich, i can verify that tonight when i get home. i recently did a plug change because it wouldnt start and the plug was pretty black. ive road it on the streets the past two nights since changing out the old plug so if its black again then i know im too rich. any suggestions on the jetting from my altitude changes?
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

I'm on a 42 pilot and 150 main. I do have a JD needle kit in it that I'm still messing with. Still thinking I can lean it out a bit. When I got the bike it had a 48 pilot, I don't remember what the main was but it was too rich. Needle was stock and on the top clip. Way too rich and spoogy.
I'd start with a 45 pilot and 155 main, mine ran ok with that once it cleaned out. Drop the needle at least one clip for starters.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Jet it for 7.5K altitude so it will be a tad rich at 9K and a tad lean at 6K. A little lean is OK as long as you aren't racing and you're not skimping on the oil. If you are using the oil injector then make sure you are using oil made for injector use which is thinner (less viscosity) than normal oil. If you are searching for an injector oil to use then look up their specs and choose the one with the highest viscosity.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/