Fouled plug

Got questions? We got answers....
Akbell

Fouled plug

Post by Akbell »

Hi guys, brought a 92 back from the dead ( needed crank bearings, and stator). After 15 years in a basement, she's alive! However, it won't stay running. Pulled the fresh plug and it was wet and pretty fouled for only running for 5 mins. I removed the kips and cleaned it all up, but had no idea what I was doing re installing it.. Lol. Could the timing on that be off enough to cause my issue? Or is it just a plain old jetting thing. The bikes all stock, down to the pipe . Every single thing was checked and cleaned properly. At 148 psi for compression by the way. Any suggestions? I kinda planned on selling it so I didn't want to get a service manual just yet. For the 5 mins it was running, she felt sluggish, couldn't really get any good revs out of her.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fouled plug

Post by bufftester »

Hard to say without more information. Is it mechanically sound?, New air filter? Mix ratio? Reeds good?, no Air leaks on intake side? Even if you reassemble the KIPS wrong it will still run off idle fine up to about 6k rpms generally. Changed the stator for what reason? Ignition coil readings on primary/secondary? So many questions lol Get the service manual, sell it with the bike if you do sell, otherwise you'll need it if you keep it.
Akbell

Post by Akbell »

Thanks. Yea I know it's tough to diagnose w o being here. I have a feeling it's the jets. Maybe I will pop the air box off and screw around w it. Have a twin air , new, w air box top still on. Ignition coil was shot when I got it. New coil and it fired first kick.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fouled plug

Post by SS109 »

If the crank seals are good then I would highly suspect the jet block gasket in the carb. Did you soak the carb to clean it?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cornishwrecker220

Fouled plug

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I think that model kdx ran a mikuni carb ( round slide ) so won't have a jet block gasket.... I may be wrong ?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fouled plug

Post by SS109 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:I think that model kdx ran a mikuni carb ( round slide ) so won't have a jet block gasket.... I may be wrong ?
As far as I know all '89 up KDX's ran Keihin PWK carbs. I know my '90 had it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Akbell

Post by Akbell »

It's the keihin pwk. No, never soaked it. Just thorough cleaning w carb cleaner and air compressor. It has a 150 main and 48 pilot . So I just put in brand new plug.. Fires up first kick, runs for 6 secs and dies. Took the plug out and it was wet. I am going to go down in pilot to a 42 tomorrow when the shop opens and I can get one. I re adjusted the float, needle valve is 2 up from the bottom.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would try to clean it again. 45 may be the way to go.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
david

Post by david »

48/150 is the stock jetting. I'm at about 450' and 42/150 w/CGK needle in 2nd grove from top.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fouled plug

Post by pumpguy »

It's always a good idea to do a leak down pressure test on an old, but new to you 2 stroke engine.

Wet and fouled plug would indicate too much fuel and/or oil, possibly from gearbox oil. Leaks into or from gearbox would show up in leak down test.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Akbell

Post by Akbell »

Crap man, I bet my liquid gasket didn't do its job, and that's the culprit. I bet it's the engine oil coming in. Why do they even go liquid on the left side of the case, and paper on the right? I bought the whole gasket kit and replaced every one, but thought that was odd. I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't see it .
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

liquid gasket?? where??
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Akbell wrote:Crap man, I bet my liquid gasket didn't do its job, and that's the culprit. I bet it's the engine oil coming in. Why do they even go liquid on the left side of the case, and paper on the right? I bought the whole gasket kit and replaced every one, but thought that was odd. I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't see it .
You're talking about sealer used between the case halves, yes? Did use the recommended type like Yamabond or equivalent?
'11 GasGas EC250R
Akbell

Post by Akbell »

No. I used the black permatex which is the heavy oil resistant line. No bigs, I will grab a thing of yamabond and re do it. Plus side is I can complete the job blindfolded now.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"I kinda planned on selling it so I didn't want to get a service manual just yet."

They can save you time and money sometimes.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/K61079012A

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Akbell wrote:No. I used the black permatex which is the heavy oil resistant line. No bigs, I will grab a thing of yamabond and re do it. Plus side is I can complete the job blindfolded now.
Yeah, you really have to use the correct sealer for the case halves. I have done many bottom ends and never had a leak when using Yamabond. I hate having to split the cases again.
Jason wrote:"I kinda planned on selling it so I didn't want to get a service manual just yet."

They can save you time and money sometimes.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/K61079012A
Yup! Do it once, do it (hopefully) right! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Akbell

Post by Akbell »

No leaks. It was the timing. It was way off. Once it was adjusted, fires first kick and runs great!! I got about an hour on it, not one hiccup. Thanks again gents.