1985 KAWASAKI KDX 200A3

Got questions? We got answers....
Ray Sanchez

1985 KAWASAKI KDX 200A3

Post by Ray Sanchez »

Hi, I just found a very good for it"s age a 1985 KDX 200 A3 and i am looking for restore, I need a piston that i cannot find anywhere,..please if someone have suggestions or more info i will appreciate....Thanks...!!!!
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

1985 KAWASAKI KDX 200A3

Post by lucy »

If you can't find a replacement piston you might consider boring it to 220. I had this done to my 4 '83-85 models and they ran well.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1985 KAWASAKI KDX 200A3

Post by KDXGarage »

We;come to the forums. They are very hard to find.

lucy, are yours plated or sleeved? Who did the work?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1985 KAWASAKI KDX 200A3

Post by KDX Geoff »

Ray Sanchez wrote:Hi, I just found a very good for it"s age a 1985 KDX 200 A3 and i am looking for restore, I need a piston that i cannot find anywhere,..please if someone have suggestions or more info i will appreciate....Thanks...!!!!
Hi Ray, l didn't see this before as l only go to the air cooled kdx section.

I now have a solution for the '83-'85 piston issue but as it's late here is Australia I'll post pics and info tomorrow on the thread l started in the air cooled section.

Cheers

Geoff.
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

1985 KAWASAKI KDX 200A3

Post by lucy »

I used to run the KDX A series in the Florida Trail Riders Hare Scramble and Enduro Series' Evolution class. My KDXs were all torn down and restored to factory new racing condition prior to racing.

I was concerned about the longevity of the cylinder plating so I "freshened" them up by sending them to Eric Gorr. He turned them into the 220cc displacement. This was over 10 years ago so I don't remember, specifically, what he did to the cylinder. I believe that he merely bored them out. They ran very well with crisp response throughout the throttle range. I did not remember having to make significant carburetor adjustments but I do remember the piston skirt was a hair too long so I had to take a couple millimeters off the piston skirt to clear the crankshaft balance weight.

The downside to my experience with Eric was that 2 of the 3 cylinders I sent him were returned to me with bent clutch cable retainer arms due to his poor packaging/padding. He put all 3 cylinders in one box and the loosely packed styrofoam peanuts allowed the cylinders to bounce around during shipping. Needless to say I was furious!

I also tried the 240cc sleeve in one 200. It was a jetting nightmare and never did run right. It accelerated nicely but had a flat spot in the mid-range that couldn't be fixed. I would never recommend this option.