'97 kdx 220R cdi problems

Got questions? We got answers....
2smokekdxfan

Post by 2smokekdxfan »

hi there to everyone, I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping to find some advice ..I own a 97 kdx 220R
I found the cdi schematic for kdx cdi on dragonfly website and need some clarity..when testing with a volt meter I get 12-14V ac from 3 yellow wires coming from my stator going to the rectifier..from the rectifier there is about 12-14V dc to the cdi..so my first question is if the voltage I'm getting from the stator wires is correct?
if the voltage is correct would the cdi on the dragonfly website work with that voltage because the ''test cicuit'' on the dragonfly website has an input of 110V ac ??
I thank everyone in advance.. :supz:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: '97 kdx 220R cdi problems

Post by bufftester »

There shouldn't be three yellow wires coming off your stator. Stock 220 wiring is a yellow wire to the kill switch and a Red/White wire to the CDI. That yellow wire will be 12+ VAC depending on RPM and is your lighting circuit voltage. The Red/White is your CDI input pulses from the ignition pickup. There is no voltage input from the regulator (the KDX uses a voltage regulator, not a rectifier, unless someone has replaced it to install a street legal lighting kit) to the CDI, they only share a ground. The ignition and lighting circuits are functionally separate, the CDI and the regulator have nothing to do with each other. Does your bike have an aftermarket lighting kit on it?
2smokekdxfan

Post by 2smokekdxfan »

no aftermarket lighting kit..
when I look through the flywheel holes there is a lot (probably 12 (more or less)) of (looks like) little wound coils..
I'm confused as there is definitely those three yellow wires from the stator to the voltage regulator ,on the regulator there is another 3 wires,, a ground and 2 white wires going out of the regulator.
one of those white wires goes to the ignition key switch and I suppose the other one would've been to the lights (removed by previous owner),, on the cdi there is 5 wires.. ground (black yellow),pick up wire(white/green) , ignition coil(blue),then the interesting part.... a grey wire out of the cdi that leads to my key switch,from the key a yellow wire to the on/off button on the handle bars and returns to the cdi with a red wire(I assume the grey and red wires forms a closed circuit when both switches is switched on for power that is supplied to the cdi from the white wire that leads from the regulator to the key switch??)

thanx for helping
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

2smokekdxfan wrote:...one of those white wires goes to the ignition key switch...
Well, there's a problem. No key switch came on stock on the 220 or the H models. Someone has definitely played with the wiring and sounds as if they have put in an aftermarket lighting kit at some point. The stock wiring for the H200s and the 220s is below for your assistance. It's also in the service manual, which if you don't have one you definitely should get one.

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Are you sure you don't have an "SR" model? Or maybe someone fitted an SR type multi coil stator and rectifier similar to what an SR model would use.

These were made for the Far East as a full road legal model and came equipped with the stator and rectifier arrangement you describe.

If yes, the electrics are different. There are links on this site that pertain to the SR models, and maybe you might find some help there.

A search on your VIN may offer some clues as to how it was originally.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

"when testing with a volt meter I get 12-14V ac from 3 yellow wires coming from my stator going to the rectifier..from the rectifier there is about 12-14V dc to the cdi..so my first question is if the voltage I'm getting from the stator wires is correct?
if the voltage is correct would the cdi on the dragonfly website work with that voltage because the ''test cicuit'' on the dragonfly website has an input of 110V ac ?? "
that voltage to and from the regulator sounds right. Now you need to test the stator coil voltage going to the CDI which is around 50 volts AC when kicking the bike hard.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Still waiting to hear what problem you're having. The lighting and ignition circuits are separate, so as Jaguar said, if you have an ignition problem you should be checking the CDI input from the stator (White/Red wire). If it's a lighting issue then the yellow wire to the regulator. Since you say you have three, might be a good idea to pull the flywheel and see what's going on in there.
shauno

Post by shauno »

He has the same model as the Australian J Series. An H series with a different wiring system for enduros like this one.
Attachments
Wiring Diagram KDX 200 J.png
Wiring Diagram KDX 200 J.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1988 times