changing engine oil question/how to

Got questions? We got answers....
nation

changing engine oil question/how to

Post by nation »

i dont have a service manual yet so i was wondering if someone could give me a idea of what oil to use,if there is a filter and how much it takes
KanuckKDX

Re: changing engine oil question/how to

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
nation wrote:i dont have a service manual yet so i was wondering if someone could give me a idea of what oil to use,if there is a filter and how much it takes
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I could find out pretty quick if you told us what bike you have. These guys know the asnwer if you give the necessary detail. I like the bike detail in my signature.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Basic KDX:

No filter.

What oil...everyone has their favorite, and each choice is 'the best!'. If you use motor oil (Valvoline, Penz, etc) do NOT use anything that has friction modifiers in it. It will generally be marked as a friction reducer, energy saver or somesuch. It's not wet-clutch friendly.

You can run a quart in the KDX. Yes, more than spec'd, but it is an oft-used trick to quiet the commonly noisy clutch rattle..some.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

The KDX is a two stroke and so the oil in the transmission does NOT go to the motor ( as it does in 4 strokes), and so there is no need for a filter, and as such oil is up two you ( i use a cheap "motomaster" oil it works and is CHEAP so it no big deal) , the manual says to use 10w-40 SAE or whatever the hell it is....but it IS 10w-40 and amount is about 1000 ml, ROCK ON :supz:
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
nation

Post by nation »

sorry
95 kdx 200
so a quart of what i like? regular automotive 10-40 redline ok?
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
nation wrote:sorry
95 kdx 200
so a quart of what i like? regular automotive 10-40 redline ok?
Yes any 10/40 without "energy conserving" on the label.

Search oil and read how strong the opinions are for every oil type and specific motorcylce oils. But note that there are hundreds of stories by guys who use regular dino automotive oils in their bikes and never had a problem. And the best research is inconclusive at best. There is no evidence that automotive spec'd oil hurts the bike.

I use motorcylce specific brand name oils because it makes me feel good. But like the man says, motomaster 10-40 is fine. Change it often. More often than you think is needed. It's cheap. at $2.50 CAD per change.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
nation

Post by nation »

ok well i went to get oil today.the shop that does the work i cant sold me some belray gear saver 80w.he said that it works great for a 2 stroke application.should i use this??i plan on changing inthe morning.and if i do use it should i use the full quart?
nation

Post by nation »

and if there is a better oil let me know.my local kawi dealer sucks balls and carries a ton of yamaha stuff and **** for kawi.
just list some good choices for me
nation

Post by nation »

and is there a write up on how to do this?im looking for pics.im a visual learner :partyman:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... it's a manual. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
nation

Post by nation »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Yep... it's a manual. :grin:
thats great.good thing i already posted that i dont have a manual
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... take it as a hint then.
It should be your first purchase after the bike if you know nothing about them or any simple task can turn into disaster...

But here's a rundown....

Pop the drain plug (under the motor between the frame) 14mm
Let oil drain into your choice of recepticles. replace drain plug.
On the clutch side (the rear brake side) you will notice there is a rubber plug on the lower part of the motor right next to the kick start lever..... unscrew it, pour 1 US quart into hole, replace rubber plug.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
nation

Post by nation »

thanks
my local kawa dealer sucks and im having a hell of a time findingone.ill just keep checking ebay
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Friendly Advice

Post by Mark W »

Take this however you want but in all sincerity I offer this as friendly advice.

I would not be bashing your local Kawi dealer. The question you asked here was about the easiest thing to do on a bike after washing it. As a matter of fact, you can do more harm to your bike washing it than you can do changing the oil. Maybe not an accurate statement but close. Somehow taking your frustration out on the Kawi dealer over something as simple as changing you oil would be a good way to alienate you later on when you really need that Kawi dealer to be you buddy, not enemy.

Buy a manual, start with the simple stuff and get to know the bike. It really isn't that hard and can be enjoyable if you allow for the time to get things done. Never ever try to do sometihng on a bike if you don't have the time - you'll be instantly frustrated. Also use the the rule of 7 (the number 7 can vary but for me it has been quite accurate) which means that however long you think something is going to take to complete, it will always take me 7 times longer than my initial estimate.

I'd add one item to Inda's post above. I would unscrew the fill plug prior to removing the drain plug. Tends to speed up the process and get all the oil out easier.

Good luck -

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Re: Friendly Advice

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
Mark W wrote:I'd add one item to Inda's post above. I would unscrew the fill plug prior to removing the drain plug. Tends to speed up the process and get all the oil out easier.

Good luck -

Mark
I've found it doesn't make a difference on my bike..... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Also getting the oil hot by riding for a bit will make it drain easier.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
nation

Re: Friendly Advice

Post by nation »

>|<>QBB<
Mark W wrote:Take this however you want but in all sincerity I offer this as friendly advice.

I would not be bashing your local Kawi dealer. The question you asked here was about the easiest thing to do on a bike after washing it. As a matter of fact, you can do more harm to your bike washing it than you can do changing the oil. Maybe not an accurate statement but close. Somehow taking your frustration out on the Kawi dealer over something as simple as changing you oil would be a good way to alienate you later on when you really need that Kawi dealer to be you buddy, not enemy.

Buy a manual, start with the simple stuff and get to know the bike. It really isn't that hard and can be enjoyable if you allow for the time to get things done. Never ever try to do sometihng on a bike if you don't have the time - you'll be instantly frustrated. Also use the the rule of 7 (the number 7 can vary but for me it has been quite accurate) which means that however long you think something is going to take to complete, it will always take me 7 times longer than my initial estimate.

I'd add one item to Inda's post above. I would unscrew the fill plug prior to removing the drain plug. Tends to speed up the process and get all the oil out easier.

Good luck -

Mark
right,well you would have to know my dealer to understand.if it has not had a review in a magazine in the last 6 months,they dont stock it or can even get it.they dont even carry 2 stroke pre mix
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Advice

Post by Mark W »

Like I mentioned, you can do what you would like with the advice offered. My local Kawi dealer is not the best either (95%) of the time but the other 5% of the time he is invaluable. There are hard to get parts for that bike and the easiest way, believe it or not, is through your local dealer.

And you're right, I don't know your dealer.

Best of Luck -

Mark
nation

Re: Advice

Post by nation »

>|<>QBB<
Mark W wrote:Like I mentioned, you can do what you would like with the advice offered. My local Kawi dealer is not the best either (95%) of the time but the other 5% of the time he is invaluable. There are hard to get parts for that bike and the easiest way, believe it or not, is through your local dealer.

And you're right, I don't know your dealer.

Best of Luck -

Mark
im just being pissy cause of the hoops i have to jump through
oh well,its not like i have to go ther eevery day
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

At first I was pretty irritated with my dealer. As I returned more and more often and became more and more knowledgeable about the bike and bikes in general, he got better and better.

First, I asked him questions knowing initially he knew more than me and listened to his advice. Secondly, I took his advice unless the guys on this site gave better advice. Next, I purchased as many things from him as I could reasonably and paid him happily. After all if he doesn't make a profit, he won't be there to serve me. Sometimes I paid more for consumables than I had too (oils mostly) but bikes cost money so a few bucks here and there weren't going to break me. After all, it costs bucks to drive 60 - 90 miles to bike for a day and then home.

Now he treats me like a loyal customer and I am. It took a lot of visits to train him, but it can be done.

I think bike shops like to deal with the experienced hardened bikers who know what they're doing. New customers tend to take too much work for some of them, who are probably bike guys themselves, not trained retailers. They answer the same dumb questions very day. It gets irritating.

Cut him some slack. Buy everything you can from him, visit the shop just for fun to check his stock and generally look for ways to make him like you. It will make your life better.

My guy even calls me by name now. Amazing.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale