kdx 220r shifting problems

Got questions? We got answers....
cshank

kdx 220r shifting problems

Post by cshank »

2005 Kdx 220-a12 will not go into 4th or 6th easy . Is this a bent shifter fork I think 4th and 6th are on the same fork. I have dropped the bike on the left side on hills the 92081 spring and spring on shifter turret and shifter paw are good . Is this a common problem ?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kdx 220r shifting problems

Post by KDXGarage »

Did it happen right after you dropped it??

No. It's not common.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Droppin the bike on the left side will not cause you to lose gears....unless you crack the case or something similarly severe. Sometimes a hard fall may cause the shift pawl spring to dislodge, but then you lose all shifting. If I remember the shift forks are 1st-4th, 2nd-3rd, and 5th-6th. More likely something in the tranny as your 4th and 6th output gears are next to each other and have dogs that engage/disengage. regardless, if its a shifting issue you'll need to split the cases to properly diagnose.
cshank

Post by cshank »

Jason,Bufftester No issue did not start just after fall BUT I ride east coast single track mostly never use 4th / 6th.
The bike is on a work table with jack stand so rear wheel is free to spin so I can check action of tranny I knew 4th
issue but didn't know of 6th gear. Right side cases have been removed for a quick eyeball in hopes for simple fix, splitting
cases was the next step. Thanks for the reply
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you knew you had a 4th problem it could be the dogs that engage the two gears, or a combination of that and a bent shift fork. Unfortunately both those require a case split. Since your right side cover is off check the KIPS governor and verify the pin is still there. Have seen that pin break off and cause all kinds of odd tranny issues as it bounces around down there. Know what you mean about getting out of 2-3rd gears, about the only time I do is when I head over the mountains to the desert.