Bike died on the trail....

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXDave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bike died on the trail....

Post by KDXDave »

Hey KDXMainer, I'd check your fuel...Empty your fuel tank and check the sock on the petcock. Than if the sock is clean pull the carb (clean the outside of the carb; carb cleaner is ok here). Take the carb totally apart and remove the pilot and main jet and blow air through all the holes, pilot, main jet, fuel seat, over flows. Blow the air backwards to the flow of fuel. I do this over a large stainless steel bowl; so I can see if anything comes out.....Don't use carb cleaner just air! Make sure the air is coming out all the holes and than look for dirt. Check closely to make sure the float is square not twisted and that the float seat is clean with no ring around the rubber. Most likely this is not the issue. I believe it's fuel contamination.....do you run a fuel filter? If so the fuel filter may be clogged...if not it could be time to start...Good Luck KDXDave
Member of the BlueRibbon Coalition, NMOHVA, Blackfeathers Trail Preservation Alliance Jemez Mountains NM single track rider: KDX200 KDX220 KTM200EXC
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

Finally got back to getting this bike fixed. Pulled the flywheel yesterday. The coil on the bottom which I assume is the ignition. Was black. So once again the coil has gone bad. Wondering if this is an issue with this year. Hopefully Ricks stator in Hampstead NH will warranty this.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am glad to read that you got it diagnosed.

It is not a normal issue with any 1989 + KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

KDXMainer wrote:Finally got back to getting this bike fixed. Pulled the flywheel yesterday. The coil on the bottom which I assume is the ignition. Was black. So once again the coil has gone bad. Wondering if this is an issue with this year. Hopefully Ricks stator in Hampstead NH will warranty this.
You were getting a spark in spite of this?

How did you determine "spark"? I may have missed that in the thread....
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

Well I finally got my replacement stator today from Ricks. They shipped it regular mail with no tracking number. Only took 7 days for it to go from Hamstead NH to Gray Maine. I did not want to take the bike to the shop just to have them properly torque the flywheel nut so I just set my gun to three and gave it a couple little zips. Hope it's close to 47 foot pounds. Couldn't use a torque wrench as there's no way to hold the flywheel. Bike started on second kick and runs great as usual. I have the backing plate set in the middle of the adjustment range as before.

Of course now I have a new problem. My Petcock rubber is dripping gas. Always ******* something.

Pissed I let this bike sit for almost a year because I assumed it couldn't possibly be the stator again as I just replaced it the year before. I won't make that mistake again. Any spark issues from this point forward that flywheel is coming off.

No to mess with the petcock.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

Now the drip has magically stopped... perfect !
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HA! Go ahead and buy the parts to repair the petcock. Those do go bad over time with gasoline exposure.

Good job on getting it running again.

Next time, put it in gear and have an assistant hold the rear brake.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128