200 E vs H - beyond the obvious...

Got questions? We got answers....
k_allhands

Post by k_allhands »

Hello All. It has been a while...

When last here, I had finished a very fun rebuild of a '92 KDX250, which ended up finding a new home with a Michigan rider when I relocated to Central Texas. I'm now closing on a place in Liberty Hill after a period of renting, and it is time to build/buy the next bike.

The fact that my son is now very much into his pee-wee riding is a good enough excuse for a family-ride-friendly bike that I can still enjoy "with the boys" when the kids stay home.

So...a few KDX options locally at any given time...a 220 or two, an H-series or two, and an E-series or two. Since I recall someone on the boards making E-series power-valve barrels, I'm not too scared of going older, and I could really do everything I'd want to an E-series after purchase for the price of what I'm seeing for used H-series.

I'd like honest opinions from those who have ridden the various series. What am I really getting with the H if I buy up a generation? General character difference in the bike? General ergo/handling differences? Braking or weight-based performance differences? Ease of maintenance differences?

How do the E and the H really compare if someone were to ride/own the two back-to-back...not in a "which is better" sense, but "what you'd notice" sense?

Also...for those in the Central Texas area...what should I be ready for in regards to the terrain? I'm not sure what to run for tires & suspension down here, compared to the wet woods of Michigan.

Thanks in advance...looking forward to contributing again in a meaningful way.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 200 E vs H - beyond the obvious...

Post by Keystone »

The E series has a slightly lower seat height and for some reason, a lower feeling stance all around http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15065. I know the seat on my E series is slightly wider and so plush making it great for slow, lazy woods riding through rough terrain. H-series is about 1/2" taller seat height, thinner and more streamlined seat. I'd assume H-series would be better for faster riding while the E-series would provide a softer ride.
I don't know the suspension differences, but remember the E-series came with two types of front forks. E-series ('89-92') is standard forks while the E-series ('93-'94) had the anodized blue USD front forks that eliminate the front fork under-hang that is apparent on the KDX standard forks including the H-series. But, I've heard the H-series standard forks are superior to both E-series types (standard or USD). I really enjoy the plushness of my E-series suspension with the blue anodized USD forks and I think they are unique and look cool. Again, H-series will probably be a faster bike while E-series may provide more plushness.
E-series is tubular frame which is more flexible while H-series is the square box frame which adds rigidity.
k_allhands

Post by k_allhands »

Thanks...the particular E-series I have my eye on right now is a 1990 with the standard forks. At the price being asked, compared to good condition H-series bikes, I could swap front & rear springs, install a gold valve set in the forks, add a gold-series pipe, RAD-valve, rejet, new filter, lace new rims for TUBLISS...basically customize as desired and still "be ahead."

Just trying to decide if an E-series with that level of care/tweaks will be more satisfactory than a less-customized H-series. It is a highly personal/subjective question, I know, but I'm just wondering if I'd really miss the "more serious" stance of the H-series (from what I've read in reviews).

Then again, I guess if I wanted "serious", I should probably be looking at all of the KTM250EXC/MXC listings I'm seeing around here...degrees of perspective...
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

Yea satisfactory for you is the answer. My decision to go with an E-series was decided based on seat height, comfort and coolness factor, not competition. The E-series also has a slightly larger tank. I'm 47 years old, 190 pounds and 5'7". The E-series made more sense for me. I like the soft ride, I can sit on the seat through rocky section and let the bikes soft suspension and seat take all the hits. When the bike is standing on its own weight, the low point of the seat is at 35 inches. That is with the forks 1/2" lower in the trees and the rear spring sagged. Perfect for me. I have never felt the bike bottom out, even when I'm ripping through the rough stuff.
I also like the classic 80's look of the E-series, so cool. I have never had a problem finding parts for the bike, but, I have never had a need to replace any parts because the thing is so reliable. Piston, rings, steel KIPS valves...all available new. Used can be found on E-bay. I have owned 2 E-series and the first thing I did to both of them was replace the piston and rings, and make sure the KIPS was adjusted properly. Never had any trouble.
If you were looking to get into hare scrambles or something, the H might be a better platform and I'm guessing parts are going to be easier to find in the future. I just love the E-series for the casual trail riding I do, either one will at least hang with a KTM of similar riding experience unless your doing Erzberg or something. Personal preference!
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

My dad has a 93 E-series with the USD, I have a 220 based hybrid, that had years of riding as a regular 220. I have ridden both extensively, and quite often back to back on the same rides as we would swap bikes when we got bored. I'll give you my best answers to your questions
k_allhands wrote:I'd like honest opinions from those who have ridden the various series. What am I really getting with the H if I buy up a generation?
A better KIPS system, or at least, and easier to maintain one with, IMO, sturdier parts.
A better suspension, though the E bikes are quite good when properly sprung.
Perimeter vs backbone frame. The newer KX based perimeter frame is a tad lighter, and stiffer.
More ready access to spares, some of the E parts are starting to become scarce.
k_allhands wrote:General character difference in the bike? General ergo/handling differences? Braking or weight-based performance differences? Ease of maintenance differences?
Being a backbone frame the E feels wider (because it is) all over. You sit down IN an E more so than an H (though an H still has you sitting more in than on).
The E suspension feels softer all around than the H. At low speeds they feel about the same, though the E, at least to me, feels like it turns slower. At high speeds the stiffer frame and newer suspension seems to work better. With that said, plenty of folks are riding Es way faster than I can lol, and the E is plush.
They both kind of lock you into the weight forward sitting position, and the H feels lighter when standing, though it's not all that lighter. Could be it feels that way because it is a lot narrower through the seat and tank. Also, for me, the E triple always makes me feel a little cramped when standing.
Maintenance wise they are equal. In fact I like the E swingarm better (it sports the slotted swingarm allowing you to pull the rear wheel without pulling the axle).
The E feels more planted, or front heavy to me, but is still easily wheeli-able. Performance wise they are pretty even once properly set up
k_allhands wrote:How do the E and the H really compare if someone were to ride/own the two back-to-back...not in a "which is better" sense, but "what you'd notice" sense?
Pretty much all covered above. I still enjoy stealing Dad's E from him on a ride, though he hates my hybrid (probably because at 76 he doesn't want to stand and sitting the Hybrid can do a number on your kidneys lol)

If it were me, they are both good bikes and will give lots of years of riding fun, but the newer H with access to a larger parts pool would be my choice just for that reason. Something is going to break and need replacement, and Hs are easier to find those parts. But if that wasn't a concern, either bike will fit the fun ride ticket.
david

Post by david »

I've never ridden an H so I can't comment. But as for terrain. The only easy woods we have is Sam Houston National Forest (sandy soil) and a couple of the smaller parks north of Houston and in east Texas. Going north and west within 4 hrs of you is going to be hard pack and LOTS of rocks, so you will want some tough tires for that.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki