Best H-Series kick stand?

Got questions? We got answers....
CrashTestDummy2

Post by CrashTestDummy2 »

I hate the OEM kickstand, and wondered what other stands you folks have used in place of the original? I don't see a Moose, Trail Tech or even Pro Billet application for the H-Series KDX. Is there a specific brand/model that requires relatively minor modification to work? Surely someone here has done this?

Fred B.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm really curious what you don't like about the OEM kickstand? It is far sturdier and trouble free vs any other kickstand available.

Anyway, to answer your question, sorry but I don't know of one. I think there was a member sometime back adapting an aftermarket one but I can't remember who or what the details where. Sorry.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rehammer81

Re: Best H-Series kick stand?

Post by rehammer81 »

Yes, you can pretty easily adapt a Trail Tech stand. I did it when I first got my 97' 220 based on another thread on here. If I remember correctly you bought a Suzuki RM stand. I know the thread exists on here somewhere.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

Look under the KDX hybrid heading and you can find photos and info on adapting a Pro moto or TrailTech . It is a very easy and neat conversion. And you can probably ebay the original kick stand to almost pay for it. :supz:
CrashTestDummy2

SS109 wrote:I'm really curious what you don't like about the OEM kickstand? It is far sturdier and trouble free vs any other kickstand available.
Just personal preference, I suppose. Mine seems to put the bike at too upright a position (on level ground). I don't really like the horizontal attitude when closed (feels like it could inadvertently come down too easily). Mine is bent a little. But most importantly, the previous owner stripped out one of the (shallow) mounting holes. So I've been running with no kickstand. However, since I'm often stopping to help people I figure I should probably have one.
CrashTestDummy2

rehammer81 wrote:Yes, you can pretty easily adapt a Trail Tech stand. I did it when I first got my 97' 220 based on another thread on here. If I remember correctly you bought a Suzuki RM stand. I know the thread exists on here somewhere.
oldmankdx69 wrote:Look under the KDX hybrid heading and you can find photos and info on adapting a Pro moto or TrailTech . It is a very easy and neat conversion. And you can probably ebay the original kick stand to almost pay for it. :supz:
Excellent, thanks fellas, I'll check it out! I did a general search on the topic and didn't really find anything, but now I have a refined search to try. Appreciate it!

Fred B.
jimmy97

Post by jimmy97 »

its a trail tech kick stand used. I did the same conversion since my bike did have one on it when purchased.
I don't remember the exact year or model the one I bought was for. but if you have any questions about the install I can try to answer themImageImage

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I believe this is what you're looking for? http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... =77&t=6152

I used a TrailTech on my dualsport until I was able to find a stock kickstand for it. The Trailtech one I was using was for a 2005 KX125. Like others said, it will keep the bike a little more upright than you may like. You can pull the plastic foot off the bottom and shorten it. I just kept it how it was though because I knew I ultimately wanted it on my 05 KX125 frame.

On a side note, the pivot bolt fell out one me one day when I was riding and I lost my stand. I was able to find the actual kickstand arm, but was missing other parts. I called TrailTech and they shipped me the replacement parts that day at no cost to me. Gotta love that lifetime warranty!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

CrashTestDummy2 wrote:
SS109 wrote:I'm really curious what you don't like about the OEM kickstand? It is far sturdier and trouble free vs any other kickstand available.
Just personal preference, I suppose. Mine seems to put the bike at too upright a position (on level ground). I don't really like the horizontal attitude when closed (feels like it could inadvertently come down too easily). Mine is bent a little. But most importantly, the previous owner stripped out one of the (shallow) mounting holes. So I've been running with no kickstand. However, since I'm often stopping to help people I figure I should probably have one.
All valid reasons and I hope the conversion works well for you.

I just really like the stock stand as it is a low maintenance and heavy duty. I have the opposite problem from you, mine leans too far over! I need to add about an inch to it and it will be perfect again. Plus, I'm a short guy so it's nice being able to actually kick start the bike with it on the stand and not worry about it breaking. It's also cool when taking a break on the trail and I can put down the stand but remain seated on the bike. Not too worried about it coming down either as I have MX'ed my KDX with no problems even when flat landing a big table top. Just my preference but any stand is better than no stand!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
CrashTestDummy2

Thanks Jimmy and Tyl3r! I wish Rick Albert's photos were still in that thread, but I think there are enough photos to get the idea anyway. I'd like to get the Trail Tech stand that rehammer81 used. Anyone know what model # that one is? Rehammer81, you here?
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

The one in the picture above is the one I have. It fits 2004-2005 KX/KXF 125/250, 2004-2005 RMZ250F, & 2005 Yamaha YZF250/450. Part # on the installation sheet says 5400-00/5400-10. You will need to do a little modification, but all is explained in the forum on the hybrids. I shortened mine about an inch to get the proper lean that I wanted. It is very sturdy when installed properly. Good luck!!! :supz:
rehammer81

Post by rehammer81 »

CrashTestDummy2 wrote:Thanks Jimmy and Tyl3r! I wish Rick Albert's photos were still in that thread, but I think there are enough photos to get the idea anyway. I'd like to get the Trail Tech stand that rehammer81 used. Anyone know what model # that one is? Rehammer81, you here?
Pretty sure that is the correct one above. I don't have the box anymore and don't remember exactly. I figured out which one to get from that thread though. Pretty sure he says which one to get. Sorry.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

How do you shorten the stock kickstand. My 2000 220R sits too upright, I always worry about it falling over.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is your bike lowered? How is the preload set on the shock?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I used a angle grinder & ground the "stand stop" down slightly, now when the bike is on the stand it sits / leans over slightly more.....I also heated up & bent the leg upwards slightly & now when up, it points above the swing arm & doesn't foul so much when in deep ruts.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Jason wrote:Is your bike lowered? How is the preload set on the shock?
Yeah I have the 1.125" rear lowering link and the forks slid up 3/4". Rear shock is set up how Factory Connection set it up, they also set up my KX forks to match the rear.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200