Stuck in 2nd gear

Got questions? We got answers....
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Stuck in 2nd gear

Post by jjavaman »

Hi kids, went riding today and had the bike fall on its left side at about 2mph. Picked it up and off we went until it was time to shift to 3rd, the lever goes up and down but is not engaging the next gear? Anyone have this happen or give me a idea on what it might be? I'm really hoping I don't have to split the cases to fix this.
On another note I just put on a new Dunlop MX52 rear tire and wow does that thing hook up on the rocks up here!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Stuck in 2nd gear

Post by KDXGarage »

Someone had a post 2 days ago that was similar. Look back on that one.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Not much in that post other then saying pull the clutch cover and you can see the shifting mechanism but all I can see is the clutch?
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

So I pulled the clutch and found the problem. The spring part# 92081 has popped off of the gear selector. No I just have to figure out how it goes back together!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Pretty simple, there's a tab with a hole that the front of the spring fits in, and a post on the sliding part of the shift assembly that the back of the spring goes around.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

So I got it back together and it seems to be shifting like normal, now I can't get the clutch to work after I put it back together? I've got no left over parts, took it apart a couple times and put it back it back together following the parts diagram, put the cover back on and the lever does not connect the pushrod until there is no room to take up the slack. Is the lever coming out of the case supposed to connect the pushrod with the round part of the bottom of the lever?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The flat part of 13236 (the clutch actuator that comes out of the case on top) should engage the pushrod.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Had the exact same thing happen this past weekend riding in northern Michigan
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

bufftester wrote:The flat part of 13236 (the clutch actuator that comes out of the case on top) should engage the pushrod.
Thanks, I had the concave washer in upside down and that's why I getting no engagement. Hard the believe it can make that much of a difference! Thanks again.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

KDXohio wrote:Had the exact same thing happen this past weekend riding in northern Michigan
That's bizarre! I'm wondering does this happen often? Unfortunately this is not s trail side fix.