stator

Got questions? We got answers....
El Gran Jamon

stator

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Installed a rebuilt stator about a year ago or so, 3k miles later blown again and walking bike out of the mountains. .

Current stator showing 210 ohms, a little burned.

Anything should look for ? Loose, shorting wires, bad coil, cdi, anything not obvious? Switch grounding out? I believe 3rd stator; getting to point I can't trust it out in the wild, bear country, etc. Pity, it's plated and I hoped it was xr reliable which it seems to be except stators.

Also, when I install the new stator, is there a way for quick connect, disconnect? Previous stator was soldered in, I just continued with new one. Possibly I carry in tool kit extra stator, strap wrench,flywheel tool?

I have an xr250/280 as well, and the kdx is generally the better more comfy bike, it has usd forks and an extra inch and a half or so travel.

Thanks

G J
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stator

Post by ohgood »

check your grounds!

yes you can put butt connectors on the wires so the wiring to the light and cdi is easy to remove.

but I think the coil isn't the problem, I think it's too light of a load on the headlight, or too poor a connection at the coil.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

stator

Post by pumpguy »

I am a bit confused with your post. Your stator should have 2 coils (circuits), one for ignition and one for lighting.

I assume you are having an ignition problem, which has nothing to do with the lighting circuit.

I'm not the guy to tell you how to troubleshoot your ignition circuit, so hopefully others will chime in. That said, first check is always is there a spark at the plug? If not, I would look first at the ignition cut-out circuit (Engine Stop). If this is shorted to the frame, you won't get any spark. The Owner's and Service Manuals have more information.

Good luck.
El Gran Jamon

Re: stator

Post by El Gran Jamon »

It's ignition, problem is coils don't last. Current coil likening said, araround 200 ohms, 2 low to fire , question is why..repeat pattern of failure
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Re: stator

Post by ScruffyDroid »

KDX has two stators. One for ignition and second one for lighting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk