130PSI Cold compression

Got questions? We got answers....
Lumpy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

130PSI Cold compression

Post by Lumpy »

new to me 2000 KDX200. Just prepping and cleaning and adjusting everything for the woods . I know that 130 PSi is certainly within range but when does one begin to questions " should I do A top end "?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 130PSI Cold compression

Post by bufftester »

I do it when I start to notice a difference in the bike, which usually is at around 25% of the new piston/ring compression value. Some do it every season if racing, I know of one guy who has a 2000 220 that is still on the original piston despite my warnings and he probably has 500+ hours on it. For my last one compression with the new top end was 152 psi, and when I did my rebuild it was at 118 psi and I could feel it wasn't pulling like it used to. Don't know where you are located, but 130 psi at this time of year I'd ride it and check again at the end of the season since you're within around 10% of normal. I've seen KDXs run with less than 100psi, though they usually are having starting issues by then.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 130PSI Cold compression

Post by doakley »

A good idea is to check compression periodically so you begin to create a history for the bike. Also try to use the same gauge each time if you can. My rebuilt,with recoated cylinder, was at 161 cold after break in.