Coolant reservoir necessary?

Got questions? We got answers....
dez41

Post by dez41 »

Hello all. Any experience out there removing coolant reservoir on H series KDX? Ride a '05 KDX200 and '03 KDX220. What makes the KDX unique that it needs a coolant reservoir? I ride and race a KTM250 and a KX250 two-smoker (no reservoirs). Does the KDX have an inherit trend of overheating? Is this a carry over from the bikes being street legal in some countries? Seems like the coolant reservoir actually blocks the thru and thru air flow on the right radiator and reducing the cooling efficiency. Plus it adds additional clutter. Been using Engine Ice coolant for years and have not had any boilover issues. Thanks.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Coolant reservoir necessary?

Post by Julien D »

You can take it off if you want. The coolant in the rads will stay at max capacity with it. Without it, they will always be a bit low.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, can be run without. My hybrid didn't have room for the reservoir so I just removed it (I am using KX radiators so you would need to plug the overflow tube on the KDX)
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

As mentioned previously you can run the kdx without the overflow tank....if you ride in hot countries, deserts or areas where you seldom get out of 3rd /4th gear , or gnarly rocky muddy areas then I'd recommend you keep the tank in situ as to reduce any coolant loss through expansion...
It's rare to see a kdx boil but I have seen many a four stroke & other 2 strokes steaming !
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Nice to have but not neccessary.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Never had one on my 200. My 220 has one but, honestly, I don't see the need. It never overheats and I ride hard here in the AZ summer heat. Just remove it and run the overflow hose down the frame to just below the cradle and you'll be fine.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
dez41

Post by dez41 »

Thank you for the replies. I'll remove it and route the overflow hose as SS109 recommends.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

My e series 200 boils over at least a little any ride I take it on. Came with no reservoir, and I was thinking of adding one!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk