Broken spark plug wire

Got questions? We got answers....
ronopolis

Broken spark plug wire

Post by ronopolis »

I was pulling the spark plug boot off my KDX, and the wire broke, deep inside the boot. It looks like it had just worn out over time. How can I reconnect the wire into the boot? I mean... I can't solder it, I can't seem to pull the rubber back to expose some kind of clamp. I assume I'm missing something -- any advice??
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Broken spark plug wire

Post by John_S »

If you need a new boot it's a NGK 8338. About $8 on eBay. Try to get the wire out of the boot by grabbing the wire that broke off in there with needle nose pliers and turning the wire counter clockwise. On the plug wire, you don't have to expose any wire, just clip it off flush and leave as much length as you can. The plug boot "threads" onto the wire clockwise. Even though there are no threads it does tighten up on the wire. There aren't any clamps. Hopefully you still have enough wire left on the coil that it will still reach.
david

Post by david »

It probably didn't break off, you probably just pulled the wire out. Like John said, the boot threads on to the end of the wire. Clip about a 1/4" off the end of the wire so that you are starting with a fresh end and screw the boot back onto the wire. You may need to use some dielectric grease to get the wire back into the boot.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

Thanks for the tips. I think part of the old wire is in the boot, I'll try to unscrew it out.

Just to be clear, I don't have to expose any wire at all, I don't have to strip any plastic back to expose wire? I just cut it clean and thread it in?

On the OEM boot, there is a tiny white zip-tie that they call the 'clamp'. Itlooks like an extra strain relief to hold the wire in the boot.

Thanks guys, hopefully an easy fix.
david

Post by david »

Correct, cut it flush and thread it into the boot. The zip tie is to help seal out water and make the boot/wire connection a little stronger. They have them on my Jetski's too.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Did it work?
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

Yep. I cut the wire clean and threaded it back into the boot. All good. Thanks for the tips guys!