What causes a motor to load up?

Got questions? We got answers....
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Not sure if I said that correctly. I'm pretty sure this is normal for a 2 stroke too. When I start the bike and let it warm up for a bit I ride off and the motor is very rich. Once I get into third it cleans out it never happens again when I start it. What exactly happens before the motor cleans out and runs normal? Jus extra fuel and or settled oil? Anyone know.
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Great question! I have always had to clear out the engine from the blubber on every 2 stroke I have had. I always warm it up, give it a short ride & turn the screw to clean it out. Everyone I ride with & know has always had to do the same thing.

Maybe it's jus the residual fuel in the engine we have to clear out & burn off?

JB
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What causes a motor to load up?

Post by Keystone »

I think oil and gas separate over time and since oil is heavier, it goes closer to the bottom of the tank where the petcock is. I turn my fuel petcock off at the end of the day and let the engine stall out so I know all the fuel is out of the carb. Next day or next month or whenever I ride again I shake the bike around to mix the fuel up and then turn the fuel petcock on. Then I start the bike. If I try to start the bike after a week or so and don't remember to shake the bike around or turn the fuel off, its rich as hell and sometimes wont even start without some ether in the spark plug hole.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Today's fuels have a short shelf life & will start to deteriorate after several weeks.... Depending on where & when you buy your fuel .... Modern fuels have ethanol added which doesn't really help as this can & will overtime destroy rubber seals & gaskets....plastic tanks also suffer.
I always drain my fuel out of my bikes whenever I don't use them & store the fuel in a metal fuel can ...( plastic absorbs moisture)
I always shake the can before I refuel the kdx & so far I've had no problem with the fuel deteriorating as much.
It's always best to use what fuel you have when you ride so you can top up with fresh fuel for the next ride.
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

I have attributed it to the following.
1.While the bike is not being ridden the lighter hydrocarbons evaporate from the float bowl leaving the heavier oil intact.There fore on start up the mixture is exceedingly oil rich.
2.Velocity in the crankcase is generally low at start up and an excessive amount of fuel/oil builds in the bottom and does'nt clear until you accelerate with authority.Combine this with the fact that the internals of the engine are not fully up to temp.leading to poor vaporization of fuel mixture.
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

Rich pilot jetting.
david

Post by david »

These bikes are a little cold natured and what you are describing sounds normal.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki