Won't stay in gear

Got questions? We got answers....
ronopolis

Won't stay in gear

Post by ronopolis »

'99 KDX 220. Went for a 30 mile ride. I live in Colorado, this was a fair amount of rocky trail, a little bit of rocky single track. Bumpy ride, but nothing unusual for me and the bike.

A few miles from the end, the bike won't stay in gear. Luckily it was downhill to the truck. I was just playing with it a little bit to see what is really going on. If I get into first gear and start to move forward, I can go maybe 5 or 10 seconds, and it is out of gear. If I get into first gear and just sit there for 15 seconds, it is out of gear. I tried starting in 2nd, moving forward, and quickly it is out of gear. It isn't in gear with the clutch engaging, it is out of gear. Each time this happens, I can step down and it *clicks* back into 1st.

Any idea what is going on?
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Won't stay in gear

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Might want to pop the clutch cover and clutch basket out and make sure the shift star and detent roller and spring are both still tight and in place
ronopolis

Won't stay in gear

Post by ronopolis »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Might want to pop the clutch cover and clutch basket out and make sure the shift star and detent roller and spring are both still tight and in place
That is my first guess, but I've only been in that part of the bike once, so wasn't 100% sure. I guess I need to order a gasket first and then get in there.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Won't stay in gear

Post by SS109 »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Might want to pop the clutch cover and clutch basket out and make sure the shift star and detent roller and spring are both still tight and in place
I agree. Had the same issue and it was the detent roller spring had broken.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Won't stay in gear

Post by ohgood »

pull hte left side kips cover and verify it's moving. if it's not, i bet you have a broken kips bin in the RIGHT side case, and it's interfering. don't run it like that, it will make a mess of your transmission/clutch !

also check your shifting drum - it only has one bolt holding it in, i use blue loctite on that to prevent weird stuff happening :-)
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

The "return spring" is broken. It is C in this picture:

Mine looks like this:

I'm ordering a new one and replacing. Anything else I should be concerned about and look for?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Look for damaged teeth or other wear from that part being free inside there.

Maybe that is something we should add on the "while I am in there / what parts to replace" kind of list. :hmm:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

ronopolis wrote:The "return spring" is broken. It is C in this picture:

I'm ordering a new one and replacing. Anything else I should be concerned about and look for?
Yup, figured that was the problem. I would check the nylon bushing on the shift shaft for wear since you're in there but I've never seen one fail. Good time to fix any kick start issues if you have been having any as well.
Jason wrote:Maybe that is something we should add on the "while I am in there / what parts to replace" kind of list. :hmm:
I'm starting to think that as well. Seems quite a few have failed. Luckily it's a cheap part.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

SS109 wrote:
ronopolis wrote:The "return spring" is broken. It is C in this picture:

Yup, figured that was the problem. I would check the nylon bushing on the shift shaft for wear since you're in there but I've never seen one fail. Good time to fix any kick start issues if you have been having any as well.
Jason wrote:Maybe that is something we should add on the "while I am in there / what parts to replace" kind of list. :hmm:
I'm starting to think that as well. Seems quite a few have failed. Luckily it's a cheap part.
Good call! I'll def plan on replacing little stuff like that whenever I eventually have mine apart too. Rather than then end up having probs down the road..... especially if I end up doing this big ride I'm tentatively planning on for next year.... don't want to have ANY probs

OP glad you found what it was and it's a cheap and easy fix.... those are always a relief, haha
ronopolis

Post by ronopolis »

I got the spring and got it all back together. But I think I screwed up one thing. When I was taking it apart, and wrestling the actual kick-starter arm off, I think I pulled out the shaft that the kick starter attaches to. I think it slid out about 1/4 inch or so. I put the bike back together, and with the kickstarter arm back on, I think it is about 1/4 inch further out (slightly away from the engine) that before. And it appears that way compared to my son's KDX.

Can that shaft actually pull out a bit with some tugging? Do I just... tap it back in?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

It's possible to move it some, 1/4 inch sounds excessive though. There is a gear held on by a snap ring, and pulling it out a 1/4 inch I think would cause interference issues with the clutch. If in doubt I'd open it back up and make sure everything is back together correctly.