927 Castor Oil any good?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by KDXGarage »

goatrider wrote:Thanks John. Still no posts from those that have experienced KIPS gumming in woods Just those that predict it will or might happen. Really folks?. If you have no knowledge, then please shut up. If knowledge , please chime oin.
and this is why oil threads go downhill quickly... :wah:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

goatrider wrote:Thanks John. Still no posts from those that have experienced KIPS gumming in woods Just those that predict it will or might happen. Really folks?. If you have no knowledge, then please shut up. If knowledge , please chime oin.
You asked about the oil, and we're giving you our knowledge of the oil..... what's the problem? Just because some of us don't use it personally and have direct experience with that particular oil, doesn't mean we haven't researched different oils or have no knowledge of it. The reason I don't use it and don't have direct experience with it, is because I DID research many different oils before picking one, including the 927, and came to the conclusion that there were better options available. There's a lot of variables involved here..... riding area, temp, humidity, riding type, ratio, quality of gas, ethanol vs non ethanol, if the bike is warmed up before riding, jetting, etc... the list goes on. No 2 bikes are gonna be the same. Is everybody that uses this oil going to have problems with the power valve gumming up? No, of course not. Like I said earlier, it IS a good oil, and it's been around for a long time with many faithful users. But in that research I did still see a very common pattern of one particular thing, with this one particular oil.... power valves gunking up. And most of them were in the conditions I described.... slower woods riding. It became evident that it was indeed a very common issue with this particular oil, not just in the KDX but many different types of bikes. That was enough for me to scratch it off my list, since there are other great oils out there which, from reading reviews, don't seem to have this problem. There was no point in trying something that may or may not have a known issue down the road, when I could just pick something else that didn't have that issue. Sure some people may have great luck with it.... I'm not discrediting SS109's review in the least..... if he's had good luck with it then that's great, and I'm glad he's had good luck with it. I'm sure many others have as well, even in KDX's. But the fact still remains that this IS a common issue with this particular oil. Some may have a problem with it, some won't..... too many variables to say whether you will or won't, but again the fact remains that it IS a common issue, when you look at the big picture instead of just a handful of people that have used it. And that's exactly what we're trying to tell you here..... that you might run into this problem using this oil. It doesn't mean you will.... none of us can predict the future, just that the possibility is there. It doesn't mean that everybody that uses it will have a problem just because some do, and it also doesn't mean that you won't have this problem just because some don't. We're just making you aware that it is a possibility down the road due to it being a known common issue with this particular oil

Use what you want.... I honestly don't care. If you have it and want to use it, then just use it. But you asked what we knew about it, and we're telling you what we know. Relax.... we're trying to help you here. Go read some reviews for yourself if you don't believe us
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by SS109 »

thirdgenlxi wrote:You asked about the oil, and we're giving you our knowledge of the oil..... what's the problem? Just because some of us don't use it personally and have direct experience with that particular oil, doesn't mean we haven't researched different oils or have no knowledge of it. The reason I don't use it and don't have direct experience with it, is because I DID research many different oils before picking one, including the 927, and came to the conclusion that there were better options available. There's a lot of variables involved here..... riding area, temp, humidity, riding type, ratio, quality of gas, ethanol vs non ethanol, if the bike is warmed up before riding, jetting, etc... the list goes on. No 2 bikes are gonna be the same. Is everybody that uses this oil going to have problems with the power valve gumming up? No, of course not. Like I said earlier, it IS a good oil, and it's been around for a long time with many faithful users. But in that research I did still see a very common pattern of one particular thing, with this one particular oil.... power valves gunking up. And most of them were in the conditions I described.... slower woods riding. It became evident that it was indeed a very common issue with this particular oil, not just in the KDX but many different types of bikes. That was enough for me to scratch it off my list, since there are other great oils out there which, from reading reviews, don't seem to have this problem. There was no point in trying something that may or may not have a known issue down the road, when I could just pick something else that didn't have that issue. Sure some people may have great luck with it.... I'm not discrediting SS109's review in the least..... if he's had good luck with it then that's great, and I'm glad he's had good luck with it. I'm sure many others have as well, even in KDX's. But the fact still remains that this IS a common issue with this particular oil. Some may have a problem with it, some won't..... too many variables to say whether you will or won't, but again the fact remains that it IS a common issue, when you look at the big picture instead of just a handful of people that have used it. And that's exactly what we're trying to tell you here..... that you might run into this problem using this oil. It doesn't mean you will.... none of us can predict the future, just that the possibility is there. It doesn't mean that everybody that uses it will have a problem just because some do, and it also doesn't mean that you won't have this problem just because some don't. We're just making you aware that it is a possibility down the road due to it being a known common issue with this particular oil

Use what you want.... I honestly don't care. If you have it and want to use it, then just use it. But you asked what we knew about it, and we're telling you what we know. Relax.... we're trying to help you here. Go read some reviews for yourself if you don't believe us
Well put. Same here on that I don't care what anyone uses. Makes no difference to me. I just share my experiences and opinions on whatever topic is at hand.

Back on topic... Some have good luck, like myself, while I have read of others that have had problems. In my opinion I think most of the reported problems with gunked up valves are more due to people thinking they have their bikes jetting "real close" because "it runs good" but haven't ever done a plug chop in their life. A lot of people don't seem to realize that rich jetting lowers combustion temps due to there being more fuel/oil than the engine can burn which leads to gum and varnish deposits. Poor maintenance and/or poor condition of the engine itself could be other contributing factors as well. I do agree that 927 is more likely to cause a problem vs a full synthetic but 927 isn't like old school full castor Golden Spectro or similar. If the jetting is spot on, or really close, there just shouldn't be a problem with the power valves. IME, IMO, and YMMV, of course! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
goatrider

Re: 927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by goatrider »

You are right ss. Thanks. Sorry, just trying to narrow discussion down to the conditions mentioned. Bad day for me. Working under car in heat with damn mosquitos eating me alive and no food! !You were a big help SS. Thanks. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. You were a major contributor to my decision. Thanks again for your help.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by SS109 »

No problem my fellow KDX'er! We all have times like that and I know sometimes I have been cranky here on the forum myself. Life can really be a PITA sometimes!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: 927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by Jaguar »

Since the KDX only peaks at around 9000 RPM and is water cooled then I would recommend any of the low ash oils (such as Castor 927) for clean running. They require high engine heat to burn off the deposits they leave (which are there for high heat high RPM lubrication). Castor 927 has some new additives to counteract the tendency to leave gummy deposits but still if the engine isn't pushed much then it can cause a gumming problem. You don't want to suddenly lose compression on the trail due to rings sticking in their slots. For a list of good ashless oils please see my page http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/oil.html
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/