927 Castor Oil any good?

Got questions? We got answers....
goatrider

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by goatrider »

Getting ready to soon fire up my '99 KDX200 that's been stored for about a year or more since I bought it used. Still has a little premix in the tank from PO. I plan on cleaning carb and filling with fresh premix. I have a couple of quarts of Maxima 927 Castor on hand and wanted to know if this is good oil and if it burns clean. I've never used it, but my friend has in his 2003 RM since new and he's never had any problems. I don't know what oil the PO of my KDX used, but I know it didn't smell like castor when I test rode the bike. Is it ok to switch to castor 927 and continue to use it or is there something I should know first? 40:1 sound ok? Thanks.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by bufftester »

<cue Thunderdome music> Let the great oil debates begin!!

lol 927 is good, a few folks on here using it as I remember.

The important thing to remember is this and this alone.....1) Pick an oil and then always use that same oil 2) Pick a ratio and then always use that ratio 3) Jet your bike to that oil combo and ride like hell. Change anything and you'll need to rejet to get best performance.

For comparison I'll fire the first salvo...Lucas Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil @ 40:1
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Yea, don't want to start an oil debate. Seen those before and was more confused than ever after reading. Love that castor smell, but I understand that it burns sorta dirty and leaves residue. Was just reading about Klotz Super Technaplate 2 stroke oil which is synthetic (cleaner) with 20% bean oil mixed in (better lube and smells good). Still doing some research on that one. Just wanted to make sure it's ok to start running bean oil after non-bean was used before. Thanks for the advice bufftester.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

For most KDX owners, (NOT going to clean the power valve and change piston / rings ), I would say skip the 927 or other castor. It's good for my KX250 in MX, though. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

927 is a good oil but I wouldn't use it in a KDX.... It'll likely end up gunking up the power valve. Its more for high compression, high strung 2 strokes that are often on the pipe, not so good for cool running, low compression, low RPM tractors like our KDX. A low flashpoint oil seems to work well in our bikes. I've had excellent luck with Motul 710..... Low flashpoint and keeps everything nice and clean even just lugging around. All of this is just my opinion though based on my experience over the past 735 hours and 13,000 miles on my bike. There's lots of great oils out there, but I def would go with a low flashpoint oil and stay away from the castor
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Yea thanks. I read elsewhere about the castor gumming and separating after I posted. May sell my 927 and get something else. I do appreciate it.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by SS109 »

Castor 927 is fine in KDX's. It's all I have ever run in mine with no gunking up of the KIPS or any other negative results. Proper jetting makes all the difference.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah, but you ride in a desert. :razz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Jason wrote:Yeah, but you ride in a desert. :razz:
Castor 927 is great stuff. It's even for use by you Eastern and Northerners! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Really SS? That's good to hear. Do you tractor through the woods or scream across the desert in AZ? I'll be in the woods, mostly. I agree with bufftester, I need to choose one and stick with it. I have no idea what jets are installed yet. I'll see when I clean the carb. As I said, my friend has an RM125 and has always used 927 since he bought it new in 2003. However, he wrings its neck all the time in the woods or mx.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by SS109 »

The only time it could be a problem is when it's below freezing as the castor will try to separate from the gasoline. However, I don't normally ride below 32f but if I do I just make sure to mix my fuel well before filling the bike and the riding will keep it mixed.

BTW, here is a good example of the type of riding I do. Check out my youtube channel for more examples.
[youtube][/youtube]
'11 GasGas EC250R
goatrider

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by goatrider »

Thanks for the reply SS. Video makes me want to ride now! Not the wide-open flat desert I imagined. Your bike sounds great!
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by firsthere »

I switched from Honda HP2 a while back and found much less smoke and spooge with 927. Have not done the top end yet so the jury is still out. I remember back in the old days they would say to not mix Castor and Synthetic or something to that effect so might want to drain all the old out before switching oils.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Yea I remember hearing that too back in my old Honda CR Elsinore days. That was my concern at first. From what I've read on this forum, and correct me if I'm wrong, newer oils like the 927 and Klotz Super Tech are blended mostly synthetic with some refined castor bean oil. Maxima website claims a special additive added to 927 to clean power valves. Who knows? The proof is in the pudding!
Seems like just flushing the tank and cleaning out carb prior to switching to 927 would suffice to me. My concern now is leaning more toward the power valve gumming issue since I'll be riding mostly woods. However, SS109 says he hasn't had that problem. Guess I'll just go with my gut. Haven't decided for sure yet. If I don't use the 927, I'll probably try the AM Interceptor. I sure do love that Castor smell though. Brings back lots of good memories. Thanks.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by SS109 »

Yes, don't mix full castor with a full synthetic. However, like you already discovered, 927 is not a full castor mix. On a few rare occasions I have used 927 and a full synthetic together and, again, no problems. You won't hurt anything on just one tank.
'11 GasGas EC250R
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

The Klotz website says the Super Tech is 80 synthetic 20 Castor. The Maxima site doesn't say blended, but I read on this site where Indawoods posted the 927 was a blend. I'm sure he did his homework. The Maxima site does say that power-valve detergent is added in the 927. But again, would like someone to chime in and say first hand if they had a dirty power valve from tractor-woods riding using 927 before I discount it. Thirdgen seems to know his s..t.
I should have known better than to ask! These oil debates give me a headache! Although, I do appreciate your valuable input SS109. Thanks.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

At least we aren't discussing scientific numbers that I don't understand. I'm not a chemical engineer, and most of you aren't. Otherwise you would have a shitload of money and a newer bike. Great discussion. The anti 927 posts for the KDX are more than the pro 927 posts so far. However, I must give SS109 some credit. He has presented a good argument for using 927. No person has said yet that their power valve was dirty from using 927. Everyone just says it "might" or it "will" get dirty. Anyone with real experience please chime in. Thanks.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I'm with SS109 on the 927 even chugging along in the woods. Now that it's jetted I have either very little or no spooge running down the silencer, depending on the day and humidity. This is my first KDX (40-45 hours) but have used it for years on other bikes and it's kept the internals and power valves looking great. The power valves and first couple inches inside the pipe haven't been carbon free but also not all gunked up or stuck. The piston and combustion chamber usually shine like new with a little brake cleaner on a shop towel wipe down.
If you ride in freezing weather then take it off the list because there's a warning right on the bottle about separation. There are a lot of reviews on Rocky Mountain atvmc with pros and cons. I like all the Maxima products I've ever used but there are so many oils that would fit the bill.
goatrider

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by goatrider »

Thanks John. Still no posts from those that have experienced KIPS gumming in woods Just those that predict it will or might happen. Really folks?. If you have no knowledge, then please shut up. If knowledge , please chime oin.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

927 Castor Oil any good?

Post by SS109 »

Just to add to my earlier posts. My bike has zero spooge out the silencer, I have literally over 1000 hours of running 927 in KDX's (200, 220, and 250) and never had a KIPS valve get stuck or gummed up, and I love that castor smell! :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R